No Pain

This time last week, I discovered (by accident) that I had a rather large solid lump in my left breast. It starts next to the nipple and goes back up towards my chest, and if I was to measure it, would say its about 8cm across. Obviously I started to panic and cry (I have lost 2 aunts in the last 3 years to BC), and thought about getting in to see the GP.

Unfortunately my surgery was closed for the weekend, so decided to call first thing Monday to book an appointment. I got an appointment that day, 2pm. The GP was ever so good, she checked both breasts over, listened to my family history and agreed I should go to the WW Clinic at the Hospital to get it checked out. Tuesday morning comes, and I received a letter confirming that I have a clinic appointment on the 14th.

I must have had this lump for more than a week, but because I have no pain with it, it makes me wonder how long it has been there. I wash with a sponge so wouldnt have felt it then, and at 43, I very rarely check for lumps. Last time was a few months ago and there was nothing then. It hasn’t changed in size since last week, and there is still no pain.

Is it normal to have no pain? I would have expected some discomfort.

Hi SamiH

It sounds like you’re having a difficult time at the moment.  Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open today 10 to 2pm and weekdays 9 to 5pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi SamiH  its good that you have noticed a difference in your breasts and got an appointment as it does need to be checked out - 90% of referrals to the breast clinic result in benign breast conditions, cysts lumpy breasts etc so it may not be anything to worry about but having it checked will give you peace of mind.   I had a lump in my breast that I noticed (I didn’t check my breasts regularly either) and I did exactly what you did and got a quick referral, I didn’t experience any pain or discomfort, it was just the feel of the breast that was different.  Unfortunately mine was ductual breast cancer and I was treated.   That was over 4 years ago and I am fine now living a happy healthy life so even if it is bad news it can be treated.  Some ladies I know did experience pain before being diagnosied but not all so it is so checking shape and look of your breasts is important - there is a really good small leaflet that BCC produce telling how to do this and how often etc.    It is a worrying time waiting for your appointment, some clinics give you results on the day others you have to wait for the patholoy results but good luck with this and fingers crossed all be well for you  xxx

Hi Samih, you are explaining the exact same as me I have a lump/hardening exact same as u :frowning: my apointment is also the 14th so we are the same day let us know how u get on xx