Not sinking in

yes, multi-coloured too and sore but getting there!! I’m taking co-dydramol 6hrly with ibuprofen in between and its ok, arm is feeling better today but boob sore…

Hi Kittenkat,Gennie,Carol, ooh and everyone else a big helloooooooooo from a very windy Wales. 24hours since my diagnosis and I just feel totally weird, fine but weird,I think I had prepared myself for the bad news so maybe it was just a relief to know for sure and now can get on with knocking it on the head.Am cleaning like a demon cos don’t want mother in law coming round when I need her help and saying what a dirty house I keep ! aww her heart is in the right place really.
Gosh Mary,is that right you had lumpectomy and node testing and you out the same day? or did I misread that? My consultant says keeps us in 4 days for lumpectomy or 7 if having whole breast off.
Here’s a quetion for you,maybe bit mad, but what nightwear did you take to hosp? am going to have to buy some!What’s easier,button down front nighty or p.j.s or are you just all trussed up that you dont need anything? Well on the top half anyway…lol
Hope to catch up with all you lovely ladies soon,hope I’m not sounding too manic!

XXXXXXX

Hi Sandra

I was only in overnight for lumpectomy and node clearance. I had my op at 1.30pm and was home by 11am the next day. There were 3 other women on my ward who had their operations earlier in the day (including a mastectomy for one) and they went home later the same evening!!

Before the op they put you in one of their sexy gowns that don’t fasten at the back and expose your bum to the world, so I put pj bottoms on underneath it once I’d come round from the op. Once they disconnected my drip I put my pyjama top on, which was a tshirt style, I just lifted it up when they wanted to look at the wounds, but a button down style probably would have been better in hindsight.

I too was in overnight after a late afternoon op - lumpectomy & SNB. I took button through pjs but in the end didn’t use them because I wasn’t back from surgery until latish and my drip wasn’t out until after lights out. Next morning I just got up and dressed.

Eliza xx

hi sandra - yes had to be in for 7.30am and went down about 11ish for lumpectomy and node sampling and was home for 3 - with 45 mins travel!! It didn’t feel rushed but looking at it in black and white it could have been!! There was another day list in the afternoon so they wanted places etc. I just took pj bottoms and loose baggy top to come home but had got button down front pj top just in case I was staying in…always put your poorly arm/side in first…and I got a cotton total support bra from m&s, £16 to wear home and some bra extenders which I got off ebay but were in a Kleeneze packet. I left bra off last night - mistake as it was more uncomfy…mary x

I’ve just finished treatment this week (apart from 5 years hormone therapy). Dx last May followed by surgery in june, 8 chemos and 19 rads.

When I had my WLE + node clearance (24 nodes) I was in hospital for 5 days until I had the drains out but it wasn’t painful at all and I didn’t need any pain relief. I had PJ button front which I found better as they’re prodding regularly.

I also had a strange women in the next bed. On the day I arrived (before surgery) she had just come back from surgery after a mastectomy and asked if I would like a kebab! I said ‘no thanks’ and she put her coat on, walked out wheeling her drip, with her drains in a bag, and came back with a carrier bag. I said ‘where did you get them?’ She said ‘I’ve been to the shop on the main road’ and then emptied her bag of kebabs and cans of beer!

Don’t worry. The surgery is nothing to worry about. I soon got full use of my arm and although it felt very strange and numb for a while, it’s fine now and back to normal. I did do the exercises religously though.

When I was at your stage it seemed overwhelming and a very long dark road, but I found that if you just concentrated on the next appointment/hurdle at a time, before you know it you’ve finished chemo and can see the light.

Good luck to all of you.

Mal

Thanks for the help re what to wear for hosp,prob should have worked that out myself but suprisingly enough my brain not quite up to speed at the mo. lol at your kebab eating beer drinking lady in the next bed,did she offer to share? Good to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel though,thanks Mal for reminding us of that,good to hear from some1 who has been through it all.
If anyone has any handy tips or advice or little pearls of wisdom that helped you get through this then please do share…amusing stories appreciated too…

Hi Sheri

I had my WLE and 6 nodes removed 2 weeks ago. Breast came back clear but sadly back in tomorrow to have all the lymph nodes out as just 1 had a few dodgy cells - sods law eh! Never mind.

I bought myself a supersoft dressing gown from Peacocks that I laid on my chest of a night time as the duvet was a bit too heavy for me. It also doubles up as a little pillow I like to plonk my arm on during the night. It kept the weight off my cut.

Keep taking the painkillers, and do your exercises. I bought a sports bra from ASDA, fab! I have not worn it that much as I can honestly say there has been no pain in breast at all. I also found wearing hubbys big baggy t shirts to be very comfy.

The pain was not as bad as I thought, so don’t be too terrified. Take care and good luck.

Daisy xxxxx

Hi there,

Had my second chemo yesterday so have bben feeling a bit wiped out all day, in fact only really just surfaced. Am not looking forward to tomorrow as ive got to start the granocite injections in the tummy…i’m really shocked at having to do this myself what a freak out! Anyway my hair started to fall out last Wednesday despite using cold cap…not sure if this is the start of it just thinning or the lot going?? Trying not to make too much of a fuss about it but it’s not a great feeling. Neither is clearing up the hair in the shower…gross!!

Anyway hope you are all staying warm and looking after yourselves. Someone have a glass of vino for me tonight.

lots of love
xxx