Not standing straight yet - 4 weeks post DIEP flap

Hello,

I had a single DIEP flap reconstruction on 2nd aug. It’s close to 4 weeks and I have not regained my straight posture yet. I am on top of the recommended exercises.
Do I need to see the physio or is it normal to take that kind of time?

Thanks
EB

1 Like

Hi, well done your through the surgery part. I was fortunate that I could stand upright and walk within a few days. I think everyone is different. Maybe contact your team. Did physio seen you in hospital?

1 Like

I had an exercise programme and I used a belt round my tum to support it which I got from amazon. i can’t remember who made it but it supported the area and made me less frightened. it wasn’t helped by my husband not pushing the trolley off the end of the conveyor in Tescos. I went straight into the trolley and my surgical diep scar split open. Three years on everything is a lot better!

i had surgery aged 66 I think

Seagulls

1 Like

Hi @ekb
Sorry to hear that you are struggling with standing straight after your DIEP, I have the procedure back in April and found I was standing fairly straight after a few days but we are all different.

I would ask your physio if there are any changes to your recovery plan they can recommend to help you, and your plastics team or nurse depending on who you have to contact to get their view on your recovery.

Also as mentioned maybe look at some support clothing to give you confidence I was recommended to wear cycling/ exercise shorts so they weren’t restrictive and tight but offered some reassurance. I am sure you are doing this but make sure you are massaging the scar areas regularly, I got obsessed and did my stomach every time I went to the toilet as I had a bit of fluid build-up and it did help to relax the area.

Wishing you all the best x

1 Like