November 2023 radiotherapy starters

Hi - I couldn’t see a thread yet for November starters…so I thought I’d set one up and introduce myself. This is my first post to the Forum! I’ve had a wire-guided WLE (lumpectomy) and I start my 5 days of radiotherapy on Wednesday 1 November. Everyone is really kind but it’s all new to me. I’ve read what to expect so at the moment I’m just trying to get some exercise (including the arm exercises, as my shoulder was a bit stiff in the planning session), eat sensibly and aim for the 8 hours of sleep I know I need each night. Hello to anyone else starting their radiotherapy in November!

8 Likes

Hello @cat2 I think I’ll find out this week when I start 5 days of radiotherapy but v likely to be November too

3 Likes

Hello @cat2 and @olivepoppy. Welcome to the forum. I too am awaiting date for 5 days of radiotherapy. Should be beginning of November. I have kept the exercises going since my ops. (2 lumpectomies). So they definitely help with movement. I have had the planning meeting and CT scan, so it should be soon. Hope all goes well for you.

4 Likes

I have my initial planning meeting next week… so I’m hoping I’ll have mine shortly after …

5 Likes

Hello ladies - newbie here too

I will also be joining you on this journey starting radiotherapy on the 1st November, after an initial lumpectomy in July followed by another in August to gain clear margins (diagnosis of ER+, node negative, grade 3, invasive ductal carcinoma and high grade DCIS.)
Due to my age (48), high grade of disease and close margin status I’m having 15 sessions followed by another 5 targeted boost sessions, followed by 10 yrs endocrine therapy (Tamoxifen) which means I can dodge Chemo thankfully !

Planning scan & tattoos complete
Wishing you all lots of love as we face this together xx

5 Likes

Hi all,

I’m very happy to see this thread - thank you @cat2 for setting it up.

I had my planning scan and tattoos yesterday and am waiting confirmation of when my 15 days of treatment will begin. I’m 43 and was diagnosed with stage 2, grade 1 Mucinous carcinoma, LCIS and fibroadenomas in May. I had a single mastectomy at the end of June (no chemo due to low Oncotype score and prescribed tamoxifen for 10 years). My radiotherapy had been delayed as my reconstruction failed. I never thought I’d get here. I think I might have been the happiest person in the radiotherapy centre!

I’m keeping up with my stretches as after 3 ops my shoulder and pec muscle aren’t very happy. The stretches definitely help though and I’ve got to be strict with myself to keep them up!

Rach xx

3 Likes

@cat2 @hopefulsl @Rach09 @tessa11 @Kitchendancer70 I hope I haven’t missed anyone out as I don’t know how to ‘reply all’. Had my CT scan & mini tattoo this morning. My 5 days of radiotherapy start Nov 7. Relieved to have the dates

4 Likes

Not long to wait then …

3 Likes

Hello,

I am currently having radiotherapy sessions…last 1 is tomorrow. I was diagnosed with grade 2 oestrogen positive HER2 negative invasive ductal back in July. I had a lumpectomy with 3 lymph nodes removed which all came back clear.

I have been on Tamxoifen for 5 weeks and have no side effects other than bloating. Long may that continue.

I’ve found radiotherapy easier than expected. I’ve been a bit more tired and skin feels like sunburn but other than that it’s been fine. Use plenty cream that they give you to keep everything well moisturised.

Best of luck to you!

7 Likes

Great that you have your start date and you are all ready now. I am still awaiting mine. But hopefully will hear next week. I wish you all the very best for your radiotherapy. Take care x

4 Likes

Hi cat2
I’m starting 5 days of radio on 13th Nov. Have had scan so hopefully all being well, will start then. I also had the same, wire guided lumpectomy, then 6 sessions of chemo. I am worried about it all, but oncology consultant said after everything else i’ve been through, this is the easy part. When i had my scan, i have to admit the look of the machine terrified me, but it was ok, kept my eyes shut mostly, as machine goes round & up & down, but not noisy like an MRI & is smaller. They did 4 tatoo’s as a guidance for my actual sessions of radio, that was the worst part, how people have tatoo’s i’ll never know !! They make sure you’re comfortable too, as you have to keep still & keep the same position for each session. I wish you well & we’ll keep posted. x

3 Likes

:wave:t4: Hiya
I am starting 15 sessions of Radiotherapy on Monday.
Hoping for minimal side effects but feeling nervous. Doing my post surgery exercises but still some shoulder stiffness present.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome. Good that you have a date for your radiotherapy. I start mine in 6th November for 5 days. So not too bad. I still do the arm exercises which I think do help with movement a lot. Bit nervous about the side effects but hopefully not too bad. Have bought Aloe Vera gel and Aveeno to put on afterwards. Hope the fatigue is ok though. Wish you well with your treatment. Xx

4 Likes

Hi everyone…having started this topic, I’m now not sure if I will be starting my radiotherapy in November. I had a really simple fall when I was walking home on Wednesday…but fell awkwardly on my left arm and I’ve fractured the top of the humerus bone (i.e. in my shoulder). Although my cancer was in my right breast, the planning session was carried out with both arms above my head. At the moment, I can’t move my arm…let alone raise it above my head! So - I’m waiting to hear what the radiotherapy team say…Good luck to everyone who replied, and anyone else who’s starting in November - I’ll either be joining you or starting a new thread in the future!

4 Likes

Hi, I had the 5 day radiotherapy treatment after a lumpectomy on my right breast back in October 2021. I had no problems afterwards, so I just wanted to encourage you. My husband drove me to the hospital each time, as it was some distance from our house, and we had a coffee together there before driving home again. Good luck! I hope it goes well for you. Sue x

4 Likes

@cat2 so sorry to hear that you fell over & have been injured. Fingers crossed that your radiotherapy can go ahead soon

2 Likes

Hi Robin,

I’m Sorry to hear you’re having such a hard time of it and I can completely understand why you would want to opt out of radiotherapy.

I was given the choice of opting out of radiotherapy as I had a lot of complications after my mastectomy and in my case my oncologist told me that taking tamoxifen was my main protection against reoccurrence and that the radiotherapy was “belt and braces”. I have decided to go though with the radiotherapy as I am physically feeling so much better than I was. For reference I had a grade one stage two mucinous carcinoma, ER and PR + and LCIS.

Wishing you lots of luck with your recovery’

Rach xx

2 Likes

Hi Robin - I’m so sorry to hear about your DCIS and spinal disease. Everyone’s situation is different so it’s good you are seeing your oncologist today and can talk to them about your questions regarding your treatment, and how you’re feeling. Take care and good luck with the consultation today x

2 Likes

Hi Cat2, so sorry you had a fall and broke your humorous bone, not nice. I hope you recover well and can have your Radiotherapy at a later date. Let us know how you are doing xx

2 Likes

Hi
Waiting for a date, I had a lumpectomy back in March and full lymph node removal on the 6/7. Complications on op two in May led to a delay.
Met oncologist at the end of September and was shocked it would be December when I receive my tattoos and date for a 5 day course.
The waiting is horrendous and I should be used to it by now

Anne x

1 Like