October 2023 chemo starters

This topic is for anyone starting chemo in October 2023 to share thoughts and feelings in a supportive environment.

6 Likes

I guess I will be part of this group. Currently waiting to hear when I will start.

I had DCIS back in August 2020, and had a left side mastectomy. This year’s follow up mammogram found a suspicious area in my right breast. After a biopsy it was found to be two small amounts of DCIS with some grade 3 cancer cells in the mix. I had a wide local excision at the end of July with a sentinel node biopsy that was clear.

I met with my oncologist on Tuesday. I will be having Paclitaxel every week for twelve weeks and herceptin injections for a year. I just want to get started now.

6 Likes

Hi, Gwen here. Looks like I’ll be an October chemo After all. Starting next week

Primary breast cancer, diagnosed in August 4 days before my bday. triple negative stage 1 grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma 2.1cm in breast, lynph nodes clear. Met oncologist and it sounds like I’ll be going every week for EC- Carboplatin- paclitaxel for 12 weeks and Pembrolizumab every 3 weeks for 12 weeks- I think as yet to receive a schedule. It’s all a bit confusing
Port being fitted tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Hello…it looks like I will be joining you lovely ladies. I’m 42, diagnosed with ER+, Grade 2 cancer at the end of July. I had a therapeutic mammoplasty 3 weeks ago and a full lymph node clearance. No dates through yet, but I have been told chemo will start in 3 weeks. Xx

4 Likes

All my best with your treatment, I am sorry you are in this situation, I started my chemo in September but I will start paclitaxel Late in November so maybe you will share your experience before me,
Hopefully you will do well and good luck with your treatment All my best to all girls who are on this topic, stay positive and try to find happy things around you .:muscle::sparkling_heart::gift_heart::hibiscus:

2 Likes

Hi
Have had port fitted yesterday. I am quite sensitive and in high in sight wish I had gone under general. They had to sedate me because of my record of allergies just in case and also cause I was nervous.
Am not going to lie for me it was really painful. Day 1 post surgery and I have a scarf lifting my boob to avoid moving it too much! Pain is mainly in upper chest and collarbone. Took a nytol to sleep last night and paracetamol. Listened to some ABBA this morning to motivate me!
As I’ll be going weekly it made sense to do it. If I was going 3 weekly not sure I would do but I guess it’s a personal decision.
The team at the hospital was lovely and held my hand the whole time and dried my tears! :purple_heart: Gwen

3 Likes

Hi! Looks like we will be starting paclitaxel at same time. All the best :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

A lovely lady in September month posted this cancer/chemo kit
Thought I’d share it in here. I thought I’d start in September but had to have a repeat biopsy and port fitted

3 Likes

Hello lovely people,

I am due to have my first round of chemo on 19 October. I’ve been told I will be having 4 rounds of CT - Taxotere(Doxetaxel) and Cyclophosphamide, every three weeks through a cannula.

I am 58 and had a Mastectomy and a breast reduction on the other side 4 weeks ago for a 6mm lobular cancer. Er+, HER2-, lymphnodes clear, but an issue of concern in my spine.

I have to tell you I am so anxious, and have been told by the oncologist and also BC nurse my hair will be gone within days. So I am going to take control and buzz cut my hair before I find it on my pillow! Anyone else doing this? I saw a video of Amy Dowden from Strictly shaving hers and was in tears watching. But she said it was very empowering.

Also I have a holiday on the Isle of Sky booked for the third week of my first cycle. I booked that a while ago when they thought I wouldnt need chemo. However Oncologist set my chemo dates round it and thought that was when I would be most well. Fingers crossed he’s right!

I am sorry we are coming together in awful circumstances , big hugs to everyone, we will get through it together xxx

2 Likes

:heart: sorry you all find yourselves on here, do think about donating your hair to little Princess trust that makes wigs for kids, lots of us have over the years :heart: get your wig vouchers from your trusts if you are not cold capping and do get your look good feel better sessions booked with your local Macmillan at your trusts, you can also have a look at preloved wigs in your Macmillan too if you wanted :heart: get your teeth checked prior to starting chemo your dentists will fit you in. Get a thermometer to keep checking your temperature during chemo and do have a look at previous chemo threads it’ll help. If your antisickness meds don’t work ring your team on the rapid response number you will be given and they will tweak your meds, don’t struggle through thinking oh this is chemo :heart: step by step you’ll get each other through and ask and post away on here :two_women_holding_hands:everyone will reach out :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

4 Likes

Hi there I have cut my hair really short. Nurse said to give a go at cold cap but am not sure a out it as I’ll have cold sleeves for arms and feet.
Final consultation w doctor this evening and starting tomorrow. Also nervous but feeling glad I am a step closer to recovery! Before and after pic . I may shave it off

Gwen xxx

5 Likes

Good luck for tomorrow. I like your cropped hairstyle.

I had a call from one of the chemo nurses today to go through what will happen at my first appointment. There was so much information. I was trying to talk to her in a vaguely intelligible way, make notes and ask questions. I think I am going to call tomorrow as I am confused about the blood tests I need before each session.

Anyway I now have a start date of Thursday 12th October

2 Likes

Gwen :heart: your hairdressers fobe a beautiful job on your new style :heart:thank you for sharing with everyone :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

1 Like

Has done a beautiful job, sorry text gremlins out :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

Thank you:) Don’t worry about asking them to repeat, they understand. I asked them 3 times and different Doc/nurses to make sure I got what drugs I was going to get, each time understanding things a bit better. I am French originally and they were every good explaining things for me to finally understand it!
Good luck with Thursday. I believe the blood test are to check your blood levels and white count cells, making sure you don’t have an infection, …but if you phone the nurses they’ll be able to assist.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll tell her. She is the best and I share w her why I suddenly would cut my hair. I will try the cold cap but not sure I can get used to it as I have also cold sleeves for hands and feet. Trying it for the first time tomorrow

2 Likes

Love your shorter hair ,thank you for sharing. Best wishes for tomorrow :hugs:

2 Likes

I had my information pack from the hospital today. I wish there had been a contents list with it as I have four identical leaflets on “understanding and preventing infections in hospital” and one called “reducing your risk of getting an infection when in hospital” which appears to have nearly identical text, but a new title. Slightly worried that I should have some other information.

Is it weird to phone the chemo suite to ask?

1 Like

No no do phone @scientistamafier and ask to have it explained again. I couldn’t understand the drug list and order they explained it to me again and I made a not in my phone 🩷🌻

2 Likes

:heart:yes ring them and speak to them :heart:also ring the number on here and speak to a nurse too :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

1 Like