Good morning, I’m new to the forum and could really do with some advice.
I’m 47 and was diagnosed with breast cancer in May, a mix of stage 1 and 2. I had a lumpectomy in June, which was a complete success. My surgeon removed a 35mm tumor plus surrounding pre-cancer tissue and 4 lymph nodes - lymph nodes were clear apart from a handful of isolated cells. Initially they had said it would be a case of surgery, radio and tamoxifen.
I met with the Oncologist and we decided to go for the Oncotype DX test to try and establish whether I would benefit from chemo, it came back with a score of 18.
In my head I had thought 15 or lower is no chemo and 20 or above means chemo, so obviously 18 is smack bang in the middle but still indicating low risk.
They have said it’s totally my decision and I would have probably taken my chances opted for no chemo, mainly as I have 11 year old twins, and really didn’t want to put them through it when they’re just starting secondary school, unless I absolutely had to.
However, what they have now said is that if I don’t have chemo, the alternative is to have Zoladex injections. It’s the first I’ve heard about these and the thought of 5 years of hormone injections terrifies me!
I know Tamoxifen isn’t a walk in the park either, but am I right in assuming that the side effects of Zoladex are far worse - and bearing in mind that will be on top of the Tamoxifen?
I’m so confused - up until now everything has been fairly straightforward, but I’m so afraid of making the wrong decision. Although I know there is no right and wrong, the bottom line is that I just don’t feel equipped with enough information to decide!
I would be so grateful for some feedback, either regarding Zoladex, or someone who had a similar score on the test and either did or didn’t opt for the chemo.
Thanks so much in advance, Caroline x