Oral meds prescription frustration

Having fun getting repeat prescription of ibandronic acid (Bondronat). Quote from my GP’s letter: “I must inform you that current PCT guidelines advise that the prescribing of ibandronic acid should remain with the hospital that initiated treatment. The doctor who saw you at the [hospital] may not be aware of this policy and so the PCT and myself have written to them, to ask that they take over the prescribing of this particular medicine…”

GP has reluctantly given me a one-off prescription but I’m not due to see onc for almost 3 months.

Does everyone get told this, I wonder?

Hi

My Onc prescribed Bonefos once I was dx with mets in 2006 and I have had no problems getting repeat prescriptions from my GP despite the fact that they are very expensive tablets. My understanding was that your GP is obliged to continue prescribing the medication and even though all repeat prescriptions are reviewed every 12 months this is just a formality and they are not allowed to change anything but I could be wrong.

Good luck

Barbara

Hi there…my onc prescribed Bondronat and I get all repeat prescriptions from my GP.
Belinda…x

Thanks, Barbara & Belinda. I have great confidence in my GP in general but something has slipped here. Bonefos however is sodium clodronate, an older bisphosphonate drug I think, and presumably cheaper than my “bonio”.

Hi MrsBlue

Like Belinda, my GP also issues prescriptions for Bondronat without reservation or warnings – I’m in Bolton, with oncology treatment at Christie’s in Manchester. I’ve been on Bondronat for over four years, started before it was licensed in the UK but it was available to “named patients” – free – at Christie’s; once it became licensed, I had to get my GP to prescribe it (as well as my Aromasin). You may be interested to know that my onc feels that oral bisphosphonates provide a more consistent doseage than IV bisphosphonates, making it easier to monitor our bone mets, as sometimes those on monthly IV bisphosphonates get bone pain just before their next injection is due, which could be confused with bone met progression. I’ve been completely happy with Bondronat, and have never had any side effects.

The pharmacist who fills my Bondronat prescription has told me that there are three other women in Bolton buying Bondronat on prescription from him, so I don’t think Bolton PCT is refusing to pay for it. I definitely think you should contact your onc well before your current Bondronat supply runs out, to ensure you get a follow-up prescription in good time, without any gaps in treatment.

Best of luck with getting and taking this drug!

Regards, Marilyn x