Pain after MX

Hi ladies,

I had a mx last Thursday with expanders and a SNB and although I’m not in severe pain I’m getting pain around my ribs and a tight pulling muscle like pain which takes my breath away for a few minutes under my armpit and over the top of what was my breast. I was given a binder which my surgeon said I could take off so I did as it was so tight I was getting back pains. Have spoken to my BC nurse but she wasn’t that helpful. Can anyone advise of whether they felt similar pains?? xx

Hello Cczes

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you could call our free helpline and talk through your concerns with one of the staff who are there to support you. The number is 0808 800 6000 and lines open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

I am 8 weeks post mx with LD flap reconstruction and tissue expanders. I too had considerable rib pain for the first few weeks and couldn’t bear the pressure of the band on the sports bra they gave me to wear 24/7. This has slowly improved but I’m still sometimes getting the muscle type pain you describe across the breast area, especially when trying to do the suggested exercises. Some of the pain you’re describing might be due to the lymph node removal which I had done a couple of months prior to my mx. Hang on in there it will get better.

Best wishes.