Pain in hands and feet

I’ve been on Tamoxifen for just over 2 years, straight away I started with pains across the top of my feet and across my hands. I’ve mentioned it several times to my nurse/GP but they just suggest to use anti inflammatory gels. The pain in my feet is getting really bad and I struggle to sleep due to the pain, it’s now spread into my toes and ankle. I just wondered if anyone else suffers like this and what you do to ease the pain?

3 Likes

It seems to be more common to get this type of pain with AIs rather than Tamoxifen but there are definitely others on the forum who’ve had this . Some doctors will suggest a short break from the meds to check that it’s definitely the medication causing you problems as other things could be contributing also . Did you have chemo ?

1 Like

No just radiotherapy, but I get so much pain in my breast, ribs, hands and feet

1 Like

Sounds like you need a proper discussion with a doctor from the breast care team about this if it’s causing you so much discomfort and getting worse , are you due a review ? If not ring your nurse and request one .

1 Like

Snap but my pain is in my legs. I’m on exomethane. When I get out of the car for example or bed, i feel as though I’m in my 90’s not 50’s. I’d like to hear someone say that this goes away 🩷

1 Like

That’s exactly how I feel, I sometimes get pain in my elbows and knees too. I’m considering taking a break from Tamoxifen so I know for definite that’s what’s causing the pain.

I have pain in my feet all the time since I started on anastrazole I had surgery and radiotherapy only and I have spoken to many health care professionals who seem surprised by this. However my Gp listened and he suggested I try amytriptiline 10mgs and although it took a few weeks it has definately helped although it hasn’t gone its better than it was. I wasn’t keen to take anything else and thought maybe it was making no difference so I tried to stop them and it became much worse again so decided to continue with them as better than not at all. He did say I could increase the dose but that gave me a bad headache so managing with the low dose . Hope this helps

I tried amitriptyline last year, but it made me feel so sick and gave me a headache. I’m now on Gabapentin for the pain in my breast and ribs which has helped a Lille and taken the edge off, but not touched the pain in my feet! I’ve spoken with my nurse and she has suggested a 4 week break so will see how that helps x