Pathology Report

I am expecting the result of my second biopsy this week. Can I ask for a copy of the Pathology Report? Has anyone asked for this or did your doc just say benign or malignant?  I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Linda (Hotlips50)

Absolutely you can get a copy of your pathology report.  I asked my BCN and she printed it off for me and handed it over.  Your consultant should explain as much detail as you want to know so ask plenty of questions if you want the detail.  Likewise you should have copies of any letters between the hopsital and your GP if you want them. 

All the best.

Hello Linda,
YES. I asked my breast surgeon for a copy of my pathology report on the day I went to see her to discuss my results after my WLE/SNB operation. She gave a copy to me straight away. However, I have heard that some ladies have found it more difficult to obtain from their hospitals.
I needed to see the details of my pathology report in black and white. It is just how I am. I wanted to do as much research on my type of cancer as I could and having the report enabled me to do this. More importantly, it helped me to come to terms with my diagnosis and treatment plan.
Some ladies do not wish to know the details because it frightens them too much. For this reason, I can appreciate why Doctors do not hand out pathology reports as a matter of course. We are all different.
I know that I would not have been happy without my pathology report. Reading the details enabled me to ask my breast surgeon and oncologist more precise questions to put my mind at rest. I am so grateful my breast surgeon, oncologist and radiologist were so helpful.
BCC also have a booklet on Understanding Your Pathology Report.
M x

Thanks Magical moon here’s the link to the publication you mentioned to Linda:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/understanding-your-pathology-report-bcc161

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Thanks girls I really appreciate it. I just dont like to be too forward in asking for something no one has asked for before. Just like I have never been shown the clusters they are testing although I did ask the radiographer what they looked like and also why they instructed a biopsy. Really…they tell you nothing…hence why I ask questions. My hearing isnt great and it would help me to understand what they were testing and why. Its been 12 days since my 2nd biopsy and still no result. I called today but did not get a call back.

Linda (Hotlips50) x

I got my result and it is the news I hoped for…the changes in the calcifications were benign changes and I don’t need to go back to the hospital.    Thanks girls for all your support these past 4 months.    I don’t know what I would have done without you.    Good luck in your results, treatment etc.   You will all be in my prayers.  Take care.

I am away to donate because without Breast Cancer Care Forum I would have been more depressed than I ended up being.

Thank you ALL.

Linda (Hotlips50) X

P.S.  Although I am OK…I will still pop on from time to time to support others in my position.

I’m so pleased for you. This website and forum have given me the strength to fight my cancer. Whether you end up having cancer or not, this site is invaluable. Thank you for donating to the charity.