Paxman Scalp Cooling

Hi Everyone

I’m about to start weekly Taxol next Friday and I’m going to try the Paxman scalp cooling system. I was just wondering what to expect. If you used it how did you get on? Which chemo were you having and do you have any coping tips? I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will be successful. I’ve had Taxotere in the past and my hair started to grow while I was on it, I don’t know whether that’s a good sign or not!

I’ve read all the info on the Paxman website about not using heat etc so I’ll have to put up with the curly look for the forseeable as my hair has remained curly and doesn’t seem to want to straighten out. Oh well, perhaps perms will come back into fashion soon.

Thanks everyone

Barbara xxx

Hello Barbara, last year I was on 6 x FEC chemo. Tried the cooling cap on the 1st blast and found it ok. Obviously, you get a brain freeze but it sort of subsides. But, sadly it didnt work for me (I did have very thick hair). It was all gone by day 17 after that first lot of chemo so didnt need to try it again! It really does work for some tho, so I would say at least give it a go. My hair returned very quickly after chemo no.6 and after about 3 months felt I had enough hair to ditch the wig and I have even had a haircut - all in 7 months post chemo.Wishing you all the best with your treatment and hope it works well for you xx regards, Debbie xx

Hi Barbara

I have had success with the cold cap - I have had 3 x Fec and just about to have my third Tax. lost very little hair with the FEC, but I have had quite a bit of thinning with the Tax - but no bald patches, just looks a bit moth eaten at the moment. I put this down to a bad session last time, when they put the cap on way too early and then had lots of messing around with bloods etc, so ran out of time with the cap during the session. I also cut my hair very short before starting chemo.

I would imagine with weekly taxol the cap would be more successful than the three weekly - but that is just my guess. Good luck - I hope it works for you.

Hi Barbara

I used the Paxman system for 6 lots of FEC, I have very thick shoulder length hair and did not lose any of it at all. I found that having 2 paracetamol half an hour before it was put on helped, I didnt get the brain freeze thing once. It does take about 15 minutes for your head to get used to it, but if you can get through that first 15 minutes the rest is not so bad - and it is soooooooo nice when they take it off for you, although I did have icicles on my hair when it was removed!

I found that I just left the conditioner on for 24 hours, they cover your hair in it first to help protect it, so
I used to just leave it on until the next day. It looks a bit minging, but you arent exactly going to a party in the first 24 hours after chemo are you?? Dont forget to take a hat to wear to go home though, you dont want to frighten other drivers do you? ha ha

The worst thing about it is that it does seriously extend treatment time as you have to have it on for 30 mins before and about 2 hours after treatment, so be prepared for a longish stay. I do feel as though its well worth the perserverance as I now have my colour back and my hair looks just like it was before treatment.

They recommended that I use PH balanced shampoo and conditioner, I tried the Simple stuff and one lovely smelling one form the health food shop, neither were any good for my hair and it felt like straw after using it. I asked if I could try the John Freida range as I used to use it before and because it was a ‘daily’ shampoo the nurse said it should be fine, so I used that from my second treatment and it was fine, only washed once a week and brushed once a day to minimise pressure on my hair and it was fine.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions just let me know

Dena xx

Hi Barbara

I have used the cold cap for my first two FEC chemos and I’m about to go in for my third of six. So far fingers crossed I still have a full head of hair.

Just before my second chemo it started to come out quite a bit and that lasted for a couple of weeks. I am very lucky as I had very thick hair to start with, so now it just looks thinner but not noticable.

I’ll be honest it doesnt go down as the most fun thing I’ve ever done but it has been worth it. The first time, when they put the second of the three hats on it was a bit too small and was quite painful but I’ve learn’t now that’s not how its supposed to be and the second one was much better.

I was told not to wash my hair to often, stay away from the hot hair dryer and to use baby shampoo. Also if you take a fabric headband with you, like a sweat band it will protect your forehead and ears. Really helps.

I wish you the best of luck. I say give it a go see how you get on.

Good luck

Kells

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your help and advice. I’m prepared for the long stay in the chemo unit, used to that already! I’ve got my ph balanced shampoo ready and I’ve been practising hairstyling without heat, not easy, is it?

Next Friday is the big day, so I’ll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks all

Barbara xxx