Periods after chemo? Did they return and when?

Oh, as an update, my periods seem to have taken a permanent leave of absence. Am now 14 months after chemo finished.

Bumping up for friend x

Extremely shocked to find that I have regular cycles again after they had stopped half way through chemo in June 2010. What is going on??

Tina, in women who were premenopausal before starting treatment, chemo can put you just into a temporary menopause.
I was 45 when I started treatment and I was told that I would be put into permanent menopause becuase of my age. I wasn’t. I started ovulating again 18 months later.

Presumably you are now on tamoxifen if you had an ER+ cancer? Elinda x

Hi Elinda, yes, same age as you at dx jan2010 (lobular as well) and onc said 50/50 chance periods would return. I thought that with chemo+tamoxifen they would have ceased permanently. Worried now that tamoxifen may not be working… ER+ 4/8

HI Tina, my understanding is that tamoxifen has no effect on ovulation or periods. I don’t think its an indicator at all it isn’t working. My Onc, surgeon and GP are all well aware I’m ovulating (seen via blood tests as I’ve had a hysterectomy). ER+ 8/8, PR+ 8/8

What it does mean is that tamoxifen is the right drug for you as opposed to an aromatase inhibitor which is only for postmenopausal women.

Elinda x

Thanks Elinda! I am sure it’s ok, just didn’t expect it to kick back in after such an absence! Best Wishes to you.x

You must be very surprised Tina - understand why that could rattle you. I’ve been period free since 2nd chemo - at 48 now and don’t expect them back - maybe the couple of years between us makes all the difference. I do remember one conversation with my oncologist who said he didn’t expect them to come back but he wouldn’t be the slightest bit concerned if they did.

Lynn
x

1. How old you were at dx?

2. Were your periods regular or not before?
    Regular, every 28 days like clockwork!

3. What chemo you had, if any?
    6 cycles FEC-T (3 of each, 3 weeks apart)

4. If/when your periods stopped?
    First chemo as I was injected with Zoladex first to shut down my ovaries in the hope of protecting them from the chemo.

5. If you had hormone therapy and/or the injections to keep your periods away?
    Not applicable - triple negative

6. If/ when your periods came back, and if they are regular now?
    They came back 6 months after chemo and are approximately every 21 days but getting closer together sometimes which I’m not a fan of!

I finished my chemo last January. After the first chemo I became pregnant. I did abort and continue ny treatment. During chemo my perids have been stoped. They come back with tamoxifen and zoladex.I am 8 months on zoladex and tamoxifen, but periods still are with me. What I can to say in our situation the best is to stop with periods at all. If we wanted to live longer with out recurrence. But every women wants to be mother and it is so hard for young womens…to decide between…

Bumping for Youngcancer xxx

Bumping for clare

Hi,
I was diagnosed jUNE 2nd 2009 aged 36,started chemo 25th June.I had 4 x FEC and then 4 x Taxotere and i still havent started my periods.My periods before were regular as clockwork. i get the symptoms every now and then of period pains and sudden low mood but no period. When i dont have period pains i have menopause symptoms of hot flushes and night sweats!
Not sure if they will ever start again but i live in hope as i have no children ;-(
Oh and i am triple negative so no hormone treatment.
mandy x

Thanks for bumping this Tors. Quite interesting reading, have a good idea what to expect or not expect now.

You’re welcome Claire.

Mandy, your experience sounds really similar to mine, though I am on tamoxifen and had assumed that was causing it. I can feel really premenstrual at one stage then really menopausal at another. I’ve just started tracking it all to see if there’s a discernible pattern. I expected my periods back as I was clockwork before and am pretty surprised they are still AWOL.

We have the worst of all worlds,period symptoms one week then menopausal ones the next!!!
that bloody cancer has alot to answer for :wink:

Its cr@ap int’it? X

Hi

I had 3 fec and 3 tax finishing in Oct 2010. I was 38 at dx.

Last period was August 2010 and they have just returned- so that is about 16 months. Did have a little bit of spotting a couple of months ago but it didnt turn into anything. Anyway this seems more like a normal period so far.

I did notice that my flushes had died off so maybe things were starting up again. Anyway am not er+ so will have to chat to onc re the future, but want my ovaries out anyway for genetic reasons.

What a delightful christmas pressie for myself… not

dx

Im 42, I’ve just had my 3rd FEC today and im still menstruating like clockwork every 28 days, in fact I came on just yesterday, bang on 28 days from the 1st day of my last one.

My periods are usually heavy as I have a copper IUD fitted and last month was no different except I had horrendous period pains (I rarely have pains) and my back was terribly painful and I had to take ibruprofen.

This month Im having a few twinges so far and Ive noted lots of little clots which is a bit different.

Just goes to show how different we all are really. I wouldnt mind my periods stopping. Im fully intending to speak to my onc about ovarian removal later down the line as im ER +.

Im stage 4- age 32 at dx. Had periods throughout fec + tax but missed a few cycles after my 2nd tax but came on just 3months after! Also regular through out a course of 6 carboplatin + now I’m bak on chemo again, they are still going strong! So after 14 chemos, no sign of chemically induced menopause 4me. Think I’ve got the most resiliant menstrual cycle on the planet. Lucky me…
Tina xx