Hi. I had a single mastectomy and immediate implant reconstruction in February and 3 weeks of radiotherapy at the end of May/beginning of june. I did my arm/shoulder exercises religiously but still have tightness across my chest and under my arm when I try to move my arm in certain ways. Im not sure if the physio appointment will deal with it effectively as the referral talks about my shoulder. Im in the uk. Has anyone else had a good experience with physio?
NHS no. Terrible. GP put that I had a back problem in the referral?! Physio told me they only have time to give us exercises to take away with me (all 2 of them when I was already doing better stretches myself) but no time in 45 minute sessions to get hands on in any way. Like everything this may vary across trusts.
Finally gave in & paid for local physio myself & through a couple of relatively simple stretches where her extra pressure is the bit that’s needed in just 3 sessions my pain & sleepless nights that have gone on for months are hugely improved & I leave there bouncing as the lack of movement & pain was utterly depressing when all I wanted to do after all this was heal & get some strength back. If you have the ability to pay for a private physio find a good one & you could save yourself much of the delay & lack of good care that can come with NHS physio services.
I havent got long to wait for my appointment so Ill see how it goes. Ive got some help towards other therapies through medicash through work so ill see what I can get from that if the nhs one is no good. My referral was from the breast care nurse so I’m hoping its accurate
Gosh that’s great. I really hope you get a good outcome asap x
Yes, my NHS physio was great. My referral was actually for a back issue as I’ve mentioned on another post, but while I was there thought I would get some advice about slight tightening across my shoulder/chest. I was seen by the physio within a few days of my GP referral, fully examined and given exercises which really helped. Must have been lucky because I can’t fault the service I received. x
Thats reassuring. My appointment is in 2 weeks time so hopefully I’ll have a good experience too. X