Picc line advice

Hello, quick question. What is the best position to sleep in with a picc line. Mine is in my left upper arm and I sleep generaly on my right with it across my body supported by by hand on the mattres, it was comfortable enough, didnt feel squished. I slept with the tube cover over it.
But it started to bleed this evening ( first full day ) i called my 24 hr line and she didnt seem concerned. Just to keep an eye. I shall ring my nurses tomorrow morning and see what they advise. Im not having the dressing changed till next week. It was the 4th attempt at fitting a picc after a canula leak on my first round, sent off to have my arm flushed out at another hospital and then 3 failed attempts at picc as veins fragile and kept blowing. Finally completed round 1 yesterday a week later with this picc that they managed to get in just before they tried for a port but im feeling very anxious about it.
Any advise welcome on both counts

1 Like

Hello :wave:t2:. I have a pic line in my left upper arm also and for the first few weeks I slept with a pillow under my left arm (between my arm and my body). It was the only way I could get comfortable. I’ve had the pic line for coming up 2 months now and I don’t use the pillow anymore. Hopefully you’re able to find a way to sleep comfortably.

@rrey Thank goodness we have a Kingsize bed!!! I’ll give it a try. I think im just over anxious about it. I slept better last night but it started to bleed yesterday so going back to have it looked at today.

Hi

My PICC line was in my upper left arm ( just into the kitten skin)

I used a cover over the dressing cover throughout the 4 months it was in ( amazon and Etsy sell loads)

For sleeping i used my heart shaped pillow in between my arm and side and a normal pillow under my shoulder so if i changed position during sleep i didnt fully roll onto it

In terms of bleeding, soreness, line movement or any other issues see your team or ring the district nurse for help

Good luck

Mine is on the upper left too; I have had it in for just over a week now. I’ve been quite lucky in that it hasn’t really bothered my sleeping, but it did feel a bit ‘throbby’ two nights ago and had had a bit of a bleed when I woke up. I’ve got an appointment for line care at 3pm today and I’m going to ask whether little bleeds now and then are relatively normal as I’ve no idea what I should be flagging and what I shouldn’t! If I get any answers I’ll let you know :slight_smile:

@sharlou hu, yes, same questions here, i was booked in for dressing change for next Tuesday, but i rang this morning and they got me in today. Im just waiting to be seen now. I’d read blood itself can cause an infection if left so was a little concerned. Bit ill ask and see what they say.

Mine said unless blood is coming out the side of the dressing it’s fine. It’s all just a learning curve isn’t it!

@sharlou she said similar, that sone bleeding is usual in the first few days while its settling in. They cleaned, flushed and changed it. Sleeping she just said it takes a bit of getting used to, but the picc line is fairly robust.
I’ll get less anxious about it.

1 Like

Hi luckyduck1

Thank you for your post.

It’s good to read that you’ve now had a successful peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC line) put in and were able to have your first treatment.

It’s natural to feel anxious while you get used to having the PICC in place. When it comes to sleeping, there isn’t really a best position. As @rrey says, some people find that placing a pillow under the arm with the PICC can help with comfort and support. You’ll probably find that as you get used to having the PICC line, you’ll find your own most comfortable position to sleep in.

As you did last night when you noticed some bleeding from the PICC, it’s always best if you have any concerns to ring the advice line number. They don’t mind and can assess the situation and give you the best advice. It’s good to read you were able to be seen this morning and feel more reassured having had your PICC cleaned, flushed and the dressing changed.

As @sharlou and your treatment team have said today, it can take a little while for things to settle down when you first have a PICC inserted.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free helpline.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties prefix our number with 18001 and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters if language translation is required.

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Heidi

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.