Positive HER2 stories please

Hey, I didn’t cold cap so can’t comment on that (I couldn’t bear it). This is the hardest of times, just take it a day at a time if you can xx
Oh and 6 months on I’ve got a full 2 inches of hair growth (and have one haircut in the bag!). X

1 Like

Well if it comes off it comes off. Its a small price to pay isnt it! Hair grows back.
I had my lil meltdown and im okay now
Thats great! I bet those first steps feel so good x

I am so happy to read these positive stories, my consultant had said HER2+ responds really well to Chemo which I was very happy about but then found myself in a blind panic this morning so really needed this today.
I have a CT scan tomorrow so hoping I get some good news from that and then can start my treatment. It cannot come quick enough. Thank you everyone for your positive comments it is so helpful when you find yourself in the dark hole!

2 Likes

Hi @galdiolus sorry to hear about your diagnosis and that you have found yourself here. However, we are a friendly and supportive bunch.

The wait between finding a lump or having a mammogram recall seems to take forever with tests and waiting on results to getting your treatment plan can seem endless and scary. But once your plan is in place you feel much better, knowing what is happening when.

Take a notepad and pen to your appointment, jot down questions in advance and make notes during the meeting, it can be helpful to look back to clarify things when it plays on your mind.

There is a HER2+ buddies group see my post above, it’s been going since December 2023 as many of us have long treatment plans. There are many drugs to treat HER2+ successfully. I’ve had 17/18 Herceptin with 1 more to go. I had a clear annual mammogram last month as well.

The forum/ website can seem quite daunting so here’s some links that may help

• Website: You can register for our services. Or find our publications, more information and support or how to volunteer. It’s all here.
  • Helpline: 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). Speak to our trained helpline team. No questions are too big or too small.
  • Ask Our Nurses: You can message our nurses here on the forum, or confidentially. Whatever you prefer.
  • Someone Like Me: Will match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. They’ll be a phone call or email away to answer your questions, offer support, or simply listen. Call on 0800 138 6551 or contact our email volunteers
  • Younger Women Together: For people 45 and under. You can choose the support that suits you: online, one day or 2 day residential events. Find an event.
  • Moving Forward: Finishing treatment can be hard, and it can be difficult to move forward with your life. You can access our support online or face-to-face. Our online information hub and Moving Forward journal provide extra ideas and information. Courses run over 2 weeks, with 2 3.5hr sessions. Or trained facilitators and volunteers are there to help. Find a course near you.
  • Publications: Download and order publications. You can read online or order your copy for free. From managing menopausal symptoms, hormone treatment or triple negative breast cancer, our information is here for you.
  • BECCA: Our free app is your pocket companion to primary breast cancer.
  • Speaker Live: sessions are on every month. They focus on the topics that matter to you, lead by expert speakers from across the UK. You can register for one of our webinars, and watch it live, or as a recording. We also have Facebook and Instagram Live sessions run by our clinical team on a huge range of topics. You can find them all on YouTube
  • Secondary breast cancer is full of uncertainties. But you can count onLiving with Secondary Breast Cancer to be there for you, no matter what. You’ll be able to talk, listen and learn with people who understand the challenges that secondary breast cancer brings. Our groups are open to people with a secondary diagnosis. Monthly sessions, facilitated by a therapist, are held in a variety of locations across the UK and online. Find a group. And if you are 45 or under? Our Younger Women with Secondaries Together events provide information and support
  • LiveChat: Open to people with a secondary diagnosis. A private chat room where you can talk to others in a similar situation.
  • Access Fund – all our events are free, but if you need help getting there or accessing our services, let us know. Email us at accessfund@breastcancernow.org or call 0345 077 1893.

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hello and sorry about your diagnosis.

If you have any questions feel free to ask! Im having my third round of Chemo next week! So im on the halfway mark.
Our type does respond well to treatment and pretty much everyone i spoken to with the same type as had a total response.
After my 1st round of chemo along with Herceptin injection about 5 days later i noticed all my swelling in breast had gone.
After the 2nd round my breast was even softer and it feels more like my other breast now.x

1 Like

Thank you so much for your lovely message. It’s a really frightening time (as you know).
I will have a look at the forum you mentioned. Thanks for being such an amazing group xx

1 Like

This is so good to read. I have a really unusual cancer and the surgeon has said that HER2 responds well to chemo so to hear you seeing a difference all ready gives me so much relief.
I have a CT scan tonight and hope to start my chemo in the next week or so. Are you on a three week cycle? Xx

Im having 6 cycles of Chemotherapy and they are every 3 week so you get a break inbetween, my side effects have usually lasted about a week and then i get 2 week feeling normal before the next round.
You will also get the Phesgo injection which is targeted therapy… its called the wonder drug and it that also helps shrink the tumour and stops it from growing etc.
Its a scary time! Im only 33 with a 2 year old ( still cant believe its happened ) but here i am, and im doing well. Chemo can seem scary but its not to be honest everyone is lovely and your in a comfy chair they came around with snacks and cups of tea and coffee and cake. I usually take my tablet with me and watch something or read a book. Chemo is very doable and they will give you a bag of different tablets to manage any different side effects.
Good luck with your ct scan. Xx