Post code lottery

Post code lottery

Post code lottery I am being treated in an area where I was refused Arimidex (which I requested) on cost grounds. My hospital does not test patients’ HER2 status - hardly surprising, since if they won’t prescribe Arimidex rather than Tamoxifen, Herceptin would be completely out of the question. Patricia Hewitt should be directing her energies towards eliminating the lottery system under which where you live determines the quality of treatment you get.

Having got that off my chest (ho,ho) I shall have a cuppa.

Agree I think the breast cancer charities should be tackling the arimidex issue just as they have campaigned on herceptin.

The benefits of arimidex over tamoxifen for post menopausal er+ pr+ tumours have been known for a long time…the new research this week just confirms earlier research.

I think there’s also a postcode lottery about the availability of taxotere for primary breast cancer and this too needs addressing.

Neither arimidex or taxotere probably give such dramatic improvments as herceptin but lives could be saved or lengthened if the best drugs really were available to all.

Go get that drug nj.

Best wishes

Jane

Message for Gandalf Hi Gandalf,
I think we have compared notes before - both being treated in Reading. I was also refused Arimidex, my Onc wouldn’t consider it. But, she surprised me at my last check up by saying that as I had been on tamoxifen for 18 months I should switch to aromasin (exemestane). This was with no prompting from me, although I had intended to ask her about it. I had problems getting it to start with ( my GP refused initially to prescribe it because of the cost), but after discussing it with my Onc he went ahead.
I’m just letting you know this in case it could be an alternative for you to consider.
Sorry, moderator, if I’m posting on the wrong forum. But I have no other way of contacting Gandalf now the contact buttons have gone (shame!).
Ellie

Hi Ellie Thanks for your reply. I have a check-up at the RBH on Jan 3rd (what a way to start the new year!) so intend to ask my onc for Arimidex then - if he still says ‘No’, I’ll suggest aromasin. My GP usually does what the hospital tells her, so if I can get past first base I should be OK!

Arimidex Extraordinary that Reading won’t allow Arimidex, whereas I was prescribed it two years ago in Oxfordshire with no discussion or argument. Obtained it via my GP surgery until taken off it by my oncologist last autumn.

Arimidex Extraordinary that Reading won’t allow Arimidex, whereas I was prescribed it two years ago in Oxfordshire with no discussion or argument. Obtained it via my GP surgery until taken off it by my oncologist last autumn.

— sorry - double clicked in error

Me too, Phoebe After my recent mastectomy, my surgeon at the Churchill in Oxford prescribed Arimidex (I was taken off tamoxifen 2 years after my first tumour). My GP is issuing it without a blink.

Kathy