Post DX mammos: How long do you wait for results?

Hi Ladies,

I am 3 yrs from diagnosis and had my 3rd annual mammo on 18 April. It took 5 weeks and 2 days to receive results in the post! My friend who is at the same clinic was even worse off - she waited 8 weeks. Thankfully both our results are ok.

I was wondering if other ladies have similar waiting times? Also, if your treatment is all on the NHS, is it possible to pay privately for the annual mammo, but still stay within NHS for all the rest? I’d be willing to do that for some peace of mind.

Oh and I’m now waitng on results for a bone scan - it just never seems to end doesn’t it?

Regards to all
Linda

Hi

My results are usually sent within 2 weeks.

Yes you can have mammo private (which usually gives result there and then) and any further treatment on nhs. I had a private ultrasound this year as my hosp has stopped doing them for younger women (still had nhs mammo). It cost £250, and mammos cost £150, plus a consultant fee of £150

Hi I had my 3rd yearly mammo in April and got my results 5 weeks later.My second one I waited 6 weeks and in the end phoned my BCN and she gave me results.

Melxx

Thanks for the replies ladies. Looks like the waiting times vary quite a bit. I kept telling myself that if they had seen anything suspicious they would have contacted me a lot sooner. The certainly did on my very first mammo, the one that found the BC, it was only 5 or 6 days later that I got the recall letter.

I think I will certainly ask to have the next one privately and get results straightaway. Even 3 years down the line I still find the ‘waiting room’ a horrible place to be.

Regards
Linda

mines is usually about 3 to 4 weeks but got called back within a few days when i had my recurrence… the mammo was on the thurs and got phone call on the mon asking me to come back that thurs for more films and turned out to be a new primary in the other side.

generally the longer you wait the less likely there is anything wrong… but you have that ‘what if’ hanging over you until you see it in black and white… i think anything over 4 weeks is too long.

Lxx