Post menopause and tamoxifen

I have been telling docs that I am post menopausal for months, no you are too young… Period stopped nearly two and a half years ago at 45 with very odd bleed here and there. Eventually a few weeks ago they took bloods which confirmed I am post men. Still, seeing onc the other day said start with the tamoxifen anyway for 2 years then will switch to aromatase inhibitors for 3 years. Is this normal? Also have had 2 biopsis of endometrium(the second a very painful D&C with NO local anaestetic!! WHY NO PAIN RELIEF IS THAT THE NORM?ouch) These were done due to 2 months continual bleeding and endometrial thickening 12mms nothing other than mild hyperplasia. But should I be taking Tamoxifen? Anyone any suggestions, thoughts on this?
Thanks Alice

Hi alice

It sounds like you have quite a lot of questions you would like answering. Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their experiences and advice please don’t hesitate to ring the helpline and speak with a professional nurse about the queries you have. The number to ring is freephone 0808 800 6000 the lines being open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hi Alice (again! I’ve just posted on the lobular thread)

I’m 37 and have also been told 2 yrs tamoxifen then 3 years Arimidex (an AI). This is despite the fact that I will be having an oophorectomy (ovary removal op) in the next 2-3 months. Chemo didn’t stop my periods but obviously I will be menopausal as soon as I’ve had the ovary removal surgery yet still on Tamoxifen for 2 years. I think Tamoxifen strengthens your bones so maybe that’s why they do it first for younger women because otherwise your bones suffer from the early menopause. I do want to know more about why do it like this and not straight to an AI so have made an appointment to see my onc in May and will ask him all this (and will post the answers but I’ve used the “ask a nurse” email service on this website before and I got a very detailed and helpful reply so would recommend this as well as asking your own oncologist).

Nicola

Ha ha, I think when they did my mx surgery, they also removed part of my brain. I’ve just realised I’m not yet 37, still 36. Feel so much younger now, lol!!!

Hi

I am 42, I had oophorectomy (ovary removal op) on the 6 March 2008 and was told I would be on tamoxifen for 5 years, although at my last oncolgist appointment he said they may change this after 2 years, as Nicola71 as said Tamoxifen strengthens your bones so this may have somthing to do with it and the fact that you still have as small amount of oestrogen in your body even when you have no ovaries or have gone throught the menopause.

Hope this helps
Debra x

I was 40 when first diagnosed and the chemo put me into an early menopause more or less straight away. I was on Tamoxifen for nearly 10 years (due to my family history) and a lot of the hospitals seem to be giving women Tamoxifen for 2 years and then switching to Arimidex (if they are post) and maybe that’s because research has shown that it is more effective.

Pinkdove