Post op drain

Am I able to shower with a post op drain in? Do i need to keep the site of insertion dry? If so how should I do it?
Thank you.

Hello hotcrossbunlover

Thanks for your post asking if you can shower after surgery with a post op drain in and if the insertion site needs to be kept dry.

You can usually bathe or shower normally after surgery as long as you have a waterproof dressing covering the wound and the insertion site of the drain. Our booklet Your operation and recovery has further information on looking after your drains.

We would always suggest speaking to your breast care nurse or treatment team for advice on how to look after your post op drain as this may vary from hospital to hospital.

We offer a range of free supportive services which you may be interested in.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

We are closed on Monday the 6th of May for the bank holiday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Sonia

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request