Post-Op Pain

Hi…

I had a left breast quandrantectomy and axillary clearance + chemo + r/t 2001/2002.

Second primary tumour in the right breast recently, so have had a double mastectomy 2½ weeks ago, and am wondering when I should expect the pain to begin to subside?

I had an axillary sampling on the right side this time (no involvement, thank God).

The scar on the left is healing nicely, but the right hand side is red and angry looking. Both sides are very painful, but the right worse than the left.

Am due to see the oncologist tomorrow to discuss Arimadex, etc, but the surgeon hasn’t asked to see me tomorrow. Feeling a bit dismissed.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Advice re. dealing with/reducing the pain?

Many thanks.

Hi Craftling, welcome to the forums.

Breast Cancer Care have written a booklet called ‘Your operation and recovery’ which you may find hepful to read as it contains information about what you can expect following breast and axillary surgery, you can read it via the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/your_op_and_recovery_07_web_0.pdf

Please feel free to call our helpline for further information and advice if you continue to be in pain and are worried about your scars, the number to call is 0808 800 6000 and is open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm. You should also be able to speak to your Breast Care Nurse about these issues if you have got one, I’m sure they’ll be happy to check your scars and offer you some advice about pain relief.

Best wishes
Lucy

Thanks, Lucy. Read that leaflet… was very useful.