Post radiotherapy skin burns

Hi, I had 15 sessions of RT and had a little soreness and pain on day 3 but it had disappeared by the next day. I was surprised that a week after completion, I started to have redness of my breast which is sore and 2 very red, itchy areas on my chest and under my arm. As the days go on, they seem to be getting worse. Did anyone else have this following RT?

1 Like

Hi, yes, I had this earlier this year too, mine peaked about 2.5 weeks after radiotherapy and was sore and itchy, also skin blistered under my boob too. I found the best thing was to keep putting on Aveeno or Moo Goo cream on which helped. Hope that helps! x

1 Like

Hi @moobloo

I had what I thought was a reaction to radiotherapy but it kept getting worse. After a few weeks I attended my breast clinic and was told I had cellulitis which apparently is quite common after radiotherapy. I didnt know this as it wasn’t something I was told to look out for.

Hopefully it’s nothing like that and will settle down.

The breast was warm to the touch as well as looking red and sore when I was diagnosed

1 Like

Did you have antibiotics for cellulitis?

Yes I did. Theres some sort of protocol that they follow

1 Like

It can take a little while for the radiotherapy to produce the symptoms you talk about. I used organic Aloevera gel and found it cooling and calming.
Also do show yoir team just in case it is cellulites as you’d probably need antibiotics for that.
I hope you get more comfortable soon

1 Like

Yes I had bad burns quite soon after I started a programme of 5 sessions a week Mon to Fri for 3 weeks.

I had been told to put cream on but it made no difference. About a month after the end of radiotherapy to the breast (left side) I was healed and pain free.

During the most painful time I slept on my right side with pillows next to me so my bosom was supported on top of them. I took painkillers and went to work all day so I had something to distract me. People didn’t talk about my illness which was great. I hope you soon feel better.

Best wishes Seagulls

2 Likes

The photo’s above are what i had, still got it, but not as bad now.
very itchy.
Just to note : the big white spot is a skin tag.

Hi @moobloo

Radiotherapy contiues to work long after you have finished treatment and it reaches peak effect about 2 weeks afterwards - so I was told. I only had 5 treatments the nipple areola and inner slope of my breast ( nowhere near my scar ) became red , sore warm to touch and very itchy . The skin was also orange peel like as well and then became scaly around the nipple and flaked off - it never broke down though, I moisturised about 5 times a day . I thought this was entirely normal and just went about my day though I did have some problems with fatigue for a while . Almost 2 months later though , when I had to see the BCN because of what turned out to be an oil cyst she was concerned that my breast was still inflamed and slightly swollen. I didn’t need any treatment in the end but the itching between my breasts still starts up from time to time and recently I have started with itching in my armpit as well - though it has settled down a lot after changing my deodorant again.

It’s now a good 18 months since I finished radiotherapy and it never occurred to me to ask for any help at the time and my skin looks back to normal but the itching is a bit of nuisance . I would say keep moisturizing doing the exercises drinking plenty of water but if you feel unwell or it gets worse or you feel there’s been no improvement after 3 weeks or so I would contact your BCN.

I wore a bamboo sock in my bra - every time I started to reach in to scratch especially when half asleep my fingers found the sock and it stopped me. It also acted as a bit of a cushion between my boob and my bra which enabled me to wear a really supportive one which was what I needed to do to get the swelling down .

Hope it improves
Joanne. X

2 Likes

How long did fatigue last for you?

1 Like

It started about 3 after treatment and was quite bad for about 8 or 9 days . After that it got slowly easier . Mostly I was back to normal activity after 6 weeks but I kept having odd days when I still felt quite off or just ran out of energy part way through the day for another 6 weeks. Adjusting to a hormone blocker / shoulder injury / family problems all prolonged it I think.

Hope you’re doing ok
Joanne x

1 Like

Thank you for all your responses, it helps so much to know I’m not the only one! Think I will contact the nurses tomorrow as the burns seem to be getting worse, not better!!

1 Like

My burns are now healing. They have peeled, just like severe sunburn! I’ve been applying E45 regularly and have noticed that the underside of my right breast (where I had the RT) is lumpy. Didn’t really notice at first at my breast was too sore to moisturise properly. But now I can rub the cream in thoroughly, I’m a bit worried that it feels lumpy/bumpy. It is near my lumpectomy scar. Has anyone else had this? Should I be worried?

2 Likes

Mine scar area was quite lumpy for a while - it did go down . Even the lump that was an oil cyst is barely there now - I’m sure it’s nothing . It could be down to swelling caused by the radiotherapy .

Might be a good idea to get yourself checked by the BCN to put your mind at rest though.

Xx

2 Likes

I would chat to the BC nurses but I’ve definitely had a lot of random swelling in my radio breast that’s gone up and down over the last 5 weeks.

I think part of the healing process is that there can be some extra fluid made by the body as it tries to rid the breast of all the dead cells.

But I would speak to your Bc nurse

1 Like

Hi Kar3n
Im now 12 days post radiotherapy and wow my cancer boob has gone exactly like yours and is very painful which surprises me. I was beginning to feel a little concerned but now that I have seen your pictures it seems it’s just part of it. Thanks for sharing this :heart:and all the best to everyone going through it all

Hi tt59
Glad my photo’s helped, it does go away eventually. Try not to scratch though, i know it’s hard, itches like mad doesn’t it.
Take care.
Xx

1 Like