Post surgery anxiety

Hi there,
Just looking for some thoughts on my situation,

Had Lumpectomy and axilla clearance on 22nd January and never felt so sore and miserable in my life .
I’ve had 2 infections, drain fell out and scar has opened up so still in dressings, one day I’m ok but other days I have melt downs which means I cry all day.
All my friends keep saying Is you have to just accept it but it’s hard as they mean well but not been through it …
I have yet to see Dr since operation and am now worrying about radiotherapy…
Feel so alone sometimes …

5 Likes

Hello @cl1619

So sorry you are struggling at this difficult time for you, you have come to the right place.

It’s very hard to appreciate quite what it feels like to be diagnosed with breast cancer unless it has happened to you and as helpful and supportive as friends try to be, it really really helps to talk to someone “who just knows”: I know it took me too long to realise how helpful it can be.

In respect of the physical discomfort you are experiencing I’d suggest speaking to one of your BCN’s or giving the Breast Cancer Now helpline a call on Monday: the nurses are very kind and helpful

I hope things improve for you, it does take time to process receiving a diagnosis and then getting your head round the treatments.

Sending you love
AM xxx

2 Likes

Hi @cl1619

Sorry to hear you have had so many side effects post surgery. I’m surprised you didn’t have a check up with your surgeon 2 weeks afterwards. Has anyone looked at your infection? Did you see a nurse?

I had lumpectomy on both breast due to finding two primary breast cancers. I was sore for many weeks afterwards had a small infection along one scar, antibiotics sorted that out. I was informed that it can take weeks to fully heal as it’s not just the surface scar but all the tissue underneath. Up to 12 weeks. I then had chemo and radiotherapy with Herceptin continuing and Letrozole.

Are you taking any pain medication? Paracetamol?

Having a cancer diagnosis is hard, then surgery and future treatment, you are absolutely normal to feel down. We’ve all been there and it still continues today with me 4 weeks post radiotherapy. If you read a lot of threads, most seem to agree that you need to find your new ‘normal’ and that you’re unlikely to be the same as before your diagnosis.

I would suggest calling the breast cancer now nurses but they finish on Saturday at 1pm but MacMillan have a 7 day a week helpline open 8am- 8pm https://www.macmillan.org.uk/get-support?infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~647344069877~kw~macmillan+helpline~mt~e~cmp~g_ps_cs_uk_bnd_sls_call+only~ag~brand+core&gad_source=1&gclid=cj0kcqiaz8gubhcxarisaopzk8wqwuhjrnjeaizgtmczlznfzakl16ozrzs64srbez2rm3fiwd7l9boaaqutealw_wcb&gclsrc=aw.ds&_its=JTdCJTIydmlkJTIyJTNBJTIyOTJhNzU0OGEtNDlkOC00YTFiLTk4MzQtNTIyYjZhZTM0OGIzJTIyJTJDJTIyc3RhdGUlMjIlM0ElMjJybHR%2BMTcwODE3NTUxN35sYW5kfjJfMzMxODVfcHBjX2UwNGQ0NzQzOGM0ZmU3ZmI4MWU5NDYyNWZlOGJjNzFjfnB0X2djbGlkfmNqMGtjcWlhejhndWJoY3hhcmlzYW9wems4d3F3dWhqcm5qZWFpemd0bWN6bHpuZnpha2wxNm96cnpzNjRzcmJlejJybTNmaXdkN2w5Ym9hYXF1dGVhbHdfd2NiJTIyJTdE

Please continue to reach out on the forum, there is always many people on here that are so lovely and supportive.

I’m sorry you have friends who think you need to accept it and move on and you rightly say it’s not them that going through it. I have one so called friend of over 20 years who has texted three times in 8 months! With the ‘if there is anything you need just ask’. I’m not sure I want to respond to the latest text, Ive been through months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy with no contact. When you have cancer and going through treatment you haven’t the energy to ask you need people to offer.

I found this article helpful https://cancercareparcel.com/what-to-say-to-someone-who-has-cancer/

I hope this helps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Hi @cl1619
I am sorry that you are going through all of this.
I can only echo what @adoptedmanc and @naughty_boob have said

One thing that I have learned on my journey is that sometimes you have to be pushy with those treating you and if you have to make a nuisance of yourself then so be it.
Your health and well being is paramount .

Have you made contact with your breast care nurse ? They are your first port of call and your representative who can offer advice and hopefully get in contact with the doctor and oncologist .

There are plenty of resources here, especially this forum where you are among friends who understand what you are going through

One other resource you can use that is also really good is BCNs Someone Like Me

Take care xx
H

1 Like

Thank you so much for the supporting replies… I had a district nurse that came in second day post op and said she didn’t need to see me much because I seemed capable to look after myself …
I’ve called breast nurse a couple of times but I feel I’m pestering her as I’ve always been the type to deal with everything myself.
I get days where I’m fine and days I’m so angry with the world… my son hasn’t even been to see me and my daughter who works and has kids has been over a couple of times though she rings 5 or 6 times a day …
My sister txt a couple of times to make a joke of it …
On a medical note is it normal to get shooting pain in nipple
Thank u everyone for your patience reading this
C xxx

1 Like

Don’t ever feel like you’re pestering the nurses, they are there to help you. Mine triage the phones messages and call you back in terms of need.

I didn’t have pain but tingling in the breast, I was told it was probably the tissues repairing inside the breasts.

Please call your breast team or the breast cancer now nurses on 0808 800 6000 lines open tomorrow at 9am.

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I get shooting pains 2 months post op. And days when I feel my operated side stick’s out to far and is brushing against my arm all the time.
Loads of weird sensations.
I find it very difficult to come to terms with the emotional stuff, although I’m more than capable of dealing with the physical stuff being a nurse and midwife.
Bloody awful disease and I think we’re perfectly entitled to kick and shout and behave obnoxiously some of the time. I know I do.
Hope some of the bits ease for you soon.

Xxx

2 Likes