Post surgery pain/bra

Hi everyone,

Was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 weeks ago and had surgery on Wednesday.

I had a therapeutic mammoplasty and lymph nodes surgery. I’m ok just was sore under my breast where the scars are.

I have post surgery bras but they seem too tight and uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you :smiling_face:

I had the same problem. I had a few different ones. I ended up only wearing them for short periods for the first couple of weeks only if I was going out or people came over. Otherwise i stayed without the bra. Now they feel comfortable. I think they were pressing on the bandage too much. After about 2-3 weeks you may feel better. Do you have any drains still?

1 Like

Yes have drains in each breast. Thank you for replying :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

When I had the drains I felt the same. It felt better when they were removed but I did also feel sore where the wound was. It does take time to heal and once that’s happened you’ll feel a lot more comfortable

1 Like

I found it too sore for a few weeks so didn’t wear anything - luckily it was cold in April so I could wear a jumper. I now wear the Sainsbury’s front zip up bra. It’s not the prettiest but it’s soft under my arm so doesn’t irritate. With a softie in I feel really confident with it.
Eventually I’ll get fitted properly at Nicola Jane but these bras will get me through my summer of chemo x

Hi
Hope your recovering ok, make sure you do your exercises :blush:. Back extenders for my bra was a game changer. You can buy them from marks and Spencer, at one point I had all three from the packet on :joy:. I used an ordinary marks bra and didn’t bother with the very over priced (imo) surgery bras xx

Hello Chrisina42,

Thanks for posting.

Finding a comfortable well-fitting bra can be difficult after surgery as the area is healing and changing over time. It can be especially uncomfortable or awkward when the drains are still in. Information in our previous link might help guide you.

Some women like @rosa preferred to go without a bra and @donna_51 found a soft front fastening one. Once your drains are removed many high street department stores offer a measuring service, and their fitters are trained in measuring women who have had breast surgery. You can select something from their range that is more comfortable for you. Although as @dumbledore explained she decided not to use post-surgical bras which is also fine.

Here is a list of suppliers of bras, prosthesis, clothes and swimwear.

You may also want to post on this section of the forum. And here are the details of all our services.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary.

Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001). If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.