Preparing for Radiotherapy sessions

Here are my suggestions that I found helpful which no one told me about . 

• wear warm rousers and socks its cold in the Radiotherapy room 
  • wear gloves as you have to hold on to bars above your head 
  • be prepared for a long time to get accurate markings , maybe up to 75 minutes each time 
  • Lying down on a cold hard bed with your arms above your head is so difficult for over an hour , be prepared and / or practice at home . 
  • Go to the bathroom before your appointments 
  • Be prepared for along wait ( 2hours ) as more urgent cases often get slotted in ahead of you . 
  • Take reading or activity to occupy the time  and keep you calm(crosswords ?)
  • Make sure you have  some food before or with you  incase there is a long wait 
  • wear easy to take off  clothes (and on) shoes 
  • Take Aloe vera or other ointment with you to slather on immediately after treatment 
  • Keep ointments in the fridge as it helps to cool down breasts
  • the radiotherapists are brilliant technicians but sometimes forget the human person , so ask for your needs 
  • It helps to know how long each photo image or actual treatment will be , as the breathing in and out can change each time . Ask them to tell you so you can be prepared . for count of 20or just in and out 

any other ideas gratefully received 

6 Likes

I have a persistent Tickly cough. They were quite happy for me to stuck a cough sweet during treatment. 

I didnt have anything to hold onto. Just hard plastic adjustable rests to rest my arms on. I had to ask for them to be adjusted once as they weren’t supporting my arms. The radiology team (always 3 people) seemed more focused on the tech stuff sometimes. I had different teams on different days, and they did vary. Most were very good at looking after me and making sure I was OK.

Wishing you well. 

2 Likes

Thanks, very useful