Pressure dressing blues!

Hi all,
I had lumpectomy surgery yesterday (Friday 19th) on both boobs and have had a pressure dressing/bandage wrapped around me over the surgical dressings. It looks like crepe bandage.
Are they meant to be so tightly wrapped? I feel like my chest is being crushed and feel so uncomfortable. I was tempted to remove it and put a crop top on instead, but resisted it.
According to the ‘Your operation and recovery’ booklet l was given it’s usually removed after a day or two, but l wasn’t advised anything by the ward staff before l left hospital, and as it’s the weekend there’s nobody available to speak to.
I’m hoping the district nurse will remove it when she calls to change my dressings on Monday.

Has anyone else found it to be so uncomfortable and how long did you have to keep it on for?

1 Like

Hi sunshine
I had mine on for 48 hours then told to remove the dressing it does feel tight it’s supposed to help with swelling , I was nervous removing mine so got breast care nurse to remove it , give them a ring on Monday every hospital is different my consultant said 72 hours but discharge nurse said 48 , you will feel better once removed xx

1 Like

Hi charlottebee,

Thanks for your reply.
It says on the letter l came home with that the breast bandage is to be kept on for 72 hours, but l’m assuming that’s the actual surgical dressings on my wounds.
The pressure dressing is causing me real discomfort, so l’m sure it should be ok to remove it later today. At 3pm today it’ll be 48 hours since my surgery.

If you can put up with it til tomorrow when I suspect the District Nurse will take it off - that’s probably the reason for them to be visiting you , it might be worth it in the long run to help prevent haematoma / seroma / swelling . Max limit for a pressure dressing is about 72 hours but @charlottebee is correct in that they are often removed after 48 hours so if you’re desperate you could remove it but it’s possible there might be leakage on the dressings underneath in which case the bandage might be slightly stuck down . If you’re going to try it take some pain relief first and have someone sensible with you who can help you with any awkward bits . You would probably be better with a post surgery bra or a sports bra if you are going to wear a crop top you might need to put second one over the top as you will still need good support .

If you’re sure that the dressing is not stuck down it might be possible for you to loosen it a little bit as an alternative to completely removing it .

I do understand your frustration though xx

1 Like

Hi I agree with @JoanneN check with district nurse , as I said had nurse remove mine as it was very sticky and was frightened I would lift the mastectomy dressing off , it’s only one more day wish you luck on your journey .Let us know how you get on xx

1 Like

Hi JoanneN,

Thanks for your advice.
I have pulled the pressure dressing forward and can’t see any leakage from the wound dressings at all and nothing is stuck to the pressure dressing.

It’s really uncomfortable and l feel my breathing is restricted, but l’ll do my best to stick it out until tomorrow when the district nurse calls, but if l can’t l’ll put two crop tops on xx

1 Like

Thanks again charlottebee, l’m usually very tolerant but the discomfort it’s causing has made me so anxious xx

1 Like

Sunshine just try and loosen it a bit I found the worst bit was at the sides have you got a drain in as well that’s not comfortable either , just think just short term I had heart pillows u see the arms which helped x

1 Like

Hi charlottebee, I’ve managed to slacken it a bit.
No I don’t have a drain fortunately. I do have a heart pillow which l’m using on the side I had my SLNB, which does help.

1 Like

Hi sunshine :crossed_fingers:you will have it removed today and feel more comfortable
Keep us posted xx

1 Like

Hi charlottebee, the district nurse rang earlier to tell me l can now remove the pressure dressing and she’ll come to change the wound dressings tomorrow.

What a relief to be free of that tight band :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s great news bet it feels great , and having dressing removed tomorrow will help as well :+1:t2:good luck with the rest of your journey x