Primary second breast cancer

I had just passed the 10 year marker of cancer free.  Went for my annual mammogram February 2022 and a new tumor was detected, this time in my left breast.  Last time was right breast.  Diagnosis then was Her2-new receptor.  I was told it was a more aggressive type of cancer.  It was Stage 2 and found early on.  Had 5 months of chemo and 3 months of radiation. 

Currently I am waiting to meet with surgeon.  I imagine once again I’ll have to decide lumpectomy or mastectomy.  Last time I did lumpectomy.  3/31 is the appointment with the surgeon.

Not looking forward to this journey again.  I’ve been told this cancer is different from the last, yet no definitive label on it yet because need pathology and knowledge of lymph node involvement.  My other concern is COVID and being in a hospital environment.  I’m fully vaccinated, however the booster is almost 6 months which will lessen the immunity to COVID and variants.  Anyone who has had recurrence and surgery, plus treatment during this pandemic it would be helpful to hear from you.

@Colleen66   Hi, I am sorry to read that you have to go through this again.  

I was first diagnosed in 2013, and then rediagnosed with a reoccurrence in August 2021.  I had the same worries about going to hospital appointments, chemo unit and surgery all at a time when we have covid.  From my experience, all I can say, is that I have felt safe as can be at every appointment.  Face mask wearing is still required at hospitals unless you have an exemption.  Staff have all been very careful, and I think psychologically I had to accept that part of dealing with the cancer would involve being at the hospital.  

covid, has for me, added another layer of worry to the situation but a layer that that I could put into perspective against dealing with the cancer.

I know that on some of the chemo monthly threads there have been ladies that had covid during chemo and their hospitals have managed them and their health during that period.  

I wish you well on your journey with this.

Nicola x

Hi Coleen16. Well my story is very similar. I had almost reached the 10 year clear and was getting ready to celebrate when I noticed dimpling on my remaining breast. The same sign I had for the first one so I was immediately concerned and had it checked out. I was still in the system so luckily it has been quick. I went to the clinic last week on Tuesday and today had a phone call to come in and see the consultant. I only had an ultrasound last week when she saw some shading and so took three biopsies. I knew then. But today was told that a new cancer  has been found. It is smaller than the first, lobular and Oestrogen positive. Results on HER2 not back yet. They will do an MRI mammogram to detect if there are any more present. Then decide on what surgery and treatment to have. He thinks he can do smaller op and conserve the breast if I want but as I had a full mastectomy last time I might just go for that agin and be done with it. I am 75 after all! But it is a big and very personal decision. I still have a lot of feeling in that breast and helps me in my relations with my husband. To lose it I would feel well that’s our set life finished for good. That’s all for now. I’m still in shock really and need to come to terms with it. I hope you can too and the wait isn’t too difficult until the 31st. Waiting is the worst hit. Hugs to you. Ruffabug,

Hello, just to offer some help.

I was diagnosed with a new primary last April, my previous being in 1994. I had a mastectomy in late May, due to the size (97mm), it was grade 3 and the six lymph nodes removed were, thankfully, negative. However I did have positive lympho vascular invasion.

I had chemo, which was a tough regime, due to having had my lifetime dose of Epirubicin back in the 90s. The first choice of FEC-T was not allowed, so I had fairly high dose Docetaxol and Cyclophosphamide. Face masked and socially distanced Oncology ward, with very busy but completely covid aware nursing staff, I felt safe. Then radiotherapy last December, again covid compliant staff. Had to have nhs covid test before surgery and once before chemo, which the hospital organised.

All my active treatment was done through strict covid compliance. Mask wearing still required at hospital. I’ve been issued with a priority per self covid test, as eligible for new drug treatment if test positive.

Three months later, I can tell you clearly that, like many other women, I got through all my treatment whilst the pandemic was at its highest.

I did have my two vaccinations plus the booster. You may well be invited to have a second booster, however, I hope my story can provide you with some reassurance.

wishing you all the best for the 31st, Sharron 

Dear marg44

luckily the link that i thought you might get can’t have uploaded. Ref cherry tree! As soon as I found a lump I embarked on a mad round of buying online plants. I never promised you a rose garden but I now have a large number of cherry trees which are grafted onto other trees so they don’t grow too big. Maybe this is too much information. I am the gardening correspondent of our local parish magazine so you can blame it on that all the best floribunda aka Seagulls.

I rejoice in many nom de plums…

I claimed clinical need and got a booster a couple of weeks ago. Nobody seemed to mind. Maybe ask your GP for advice, but that was my feeling. I don’t want to give covid to any NHS staff let alone get it.  I am 66 but I feel fit as a fiddle apart from a recurrence of the same cancer I had before in the same breast. so that means I will be offered a ‘salvage’ mastectomy as I had a quadrantectomy last time, well that’s what they told me it was. I was left with a rather misshapen left breast which I didn’t like. That was 19 years ago so I got used to it.

Seagulls