Private Medical Insurance Renewal

Hi all,

When I was diagnosed last year I was covered under my partners work place private medical insurance. After my mastectomy they left that job so I took on and paid for the policy myself, and have had the rest of my surgeries, radiotherapy etc on it.

My question is does anyone know how much your insurance goes up when you renew it? I asked AXA as mine is due to renew in July and the most they could say is that it depends on what you’ve claimed. Well, clearly I’ve claimed loads as it was cancer treatment! I’m now starting to worry that it’s not going to be affordable at all for me.

If anyone has any insight I’d be really grateful.

Rach x

1 Like

Hi @Rach09

I’m sorry that you haven’t had a response to your question yet and that you didn’t have a more helpful response from your provider.

Macmillan have some great resources on insurance that you may find useful: Insurance and cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support. They also have financial guides that can help with insurance questions. You can contact them on the Macmillan Support Line for free at 0808 808 0000.

Sending our warmest,
Lucy

1 Like

Hi Rachel , I’ve been in similar position recently. I had my treatment last year covered through work by vitality.
Long story short the ball park figure like for like was around £1400pm for me to take it over. You can start to bring this down with a different hospital list, bigger excesses, no diagnostics no physio and all sorts of options , you paying for consultations etc The figure then went down to around £460 pm. I should imagine it depends on how much you’ve cost them with diagnosis and treatments.!Like all insurances buyer beware and go in with both eyes open!

1 Like

Hi @Shoo,

Thank you for your reply. This is just what I was worrying about!

I took over the policy just after my mastectomy and managed to get it down to £4500 by stripping it back just to the cancer coverage and physio.

Since then I’ve had 2 further ops, radiotherapy and hours of physio. I’m dreading what the cost will be come July as there’s nothing else I can strip back on the policy :rofl:

I’m keen to keep it though as my reconstruction failed and if they will cover a redo on my insurance it might be worth it rather than the long wait on the NHS.

We shall see what the renewal brings, and in the meantime I’ll try not to spend all my money!

Rach x