Problem of Physical Examination.

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with a recurrence of breast cancer last year. However, I first had a physical examination and was told then that I was fine. I was not urgently referred for a mammogram as apparently there were no signs of concern and I had it a month later. Next I was told to attend for biopsy. Then I was diagnosed with the same cancer again. They told me it was likely that the first operation ( lumpectomy) didn’t remove all of the cancer cells. They told me the tumour would be millimetres. After the operation I discovered that the tumour was in fact 2.4cm. This was not detected during the physical examination. I have a friend who has had the same problem with a physical examination after a mastectomy. (Annual check). Also told she was fine but they discovered by chance 6 months later she had 3 tumours and incurable cancer. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I have made a complaint and it is under investigation as I feel that these examinations are ineffective. 

The examination can’t be effective every time but it is worth asking why. I had triple test - clinical examination, mammograms and fine needle aspiration biopsies in 2003 and was told the lump was benign. I had it removed and was told it was ductal cancer with focal dcis.

the stats for the triple test are that it’s 99.4% accurate I think but if 55,000 people are diagnosed in a  year .6% of 55,000 is 330 people