Pulmonary nodules

Can’t find a lot of people on here with lung nodules. Anyone have lung nodules and for long? Are they always biopsied? Just wondering if one’s that don’t shrink or resolve are always cancerous.

Hi. I have 3 tiny nodules in my lungs which showed up my first scan. So you were too small to biopsy but were thought to be suspicious. So I was put on treatment for secondary triple negative breast cancer - a palliative dose of chemotherapy and immunotherapy. Nothing was found in my breast but I had swollen lymph nodes in my left armpit. After 3 months treatment I had another scan. Lymph nodes had reduced in size but the lung nodules remained unchanged. So they now think they are probably benign. So I have now been re-diagnosed as primary triple negative. If all is well after my next scan I will probably have surgery to remove the lymph nodes. I have been kept on the palliative dose of chemo and immuno as there didn’t seem to be any point in increasing in it.

2 Likes

Oh wow, so there is no lump in your breast?

I am ER, PR and her2+ and my cancer had spread to both breasts, lungs, liver, lymph nodes, bones - spine, femur, pelvis. Did 6 rounds of chemo with immunotherapy, as soon as I stopped treatment it was coming back in my bones. The chemo did clear up spots in lungs. I was put on Enhertu in April 2022 and have been doing really good! All of my scans and #’s are good! I’m very thankful and blessed! Have HOPE and know that God is with you!

3 Likes

I’m on Enhertu as well.
Have any of your Mets resolve?

No, nothing showed on mammogram or either of my CT scans! :slightly_smiling_face:

I have multiple lung mets, in both lungs. Diagnosed in Aug 22 and only 1 (the biggest nodule) was biopsied to check it was the same as my primary 9.5 years previously, it was and I started treatment in Sep 22. They have all remained stable with some shrinkage.

Spikey

1 Like

What treatment are you on?

Palbociclib and Fulvestrant, and it seems to be keeping me stable……

@Deb_M hi
I was reported to have lung nodules on one of my first scans, but after commencing on all my treatment drugs, had disappeared on subsequent scans. Sometimes they can be infection or scarring and not necessarily always cancer. Hope that helps.

1 Like

My first CT scan at the end of Jan showed 5-10 lung nodules, with 2 of them being ‘big’ 7mm and 9mm but they’re considered too small to biopsy. Was told I was stage 4 de novo because of this and started chemo a few weeks ago (carbo/taxol) - I’m TNBC. I’ve been told that when I next get scanned (mid April) that if the lung nodules act in the same way as the breast tumour then that confirms they’re cancerous (which is what the oncologist is expecting), but if they don’t then they might be benign. Given I’ve got so many, I’m not expecting them to be benign sadly.

I find CT scans and PET scans conflicting. I have nodes show on my CT and the PET shows no FDG activity with them.
Mine were never biopsied. I also asked my nurse if the nodes ever go away and was told they will always be there. So I’m more confused as I have read others have disappeared.

Hi Deb - I think if they stay there that’s a good sign that they’re benign because any chemo drugs wouldn’t affect them. But if they shrink and your main (breast) tumour also shrinks, then it means they’re mets because they’re responding in the same way as the tumour.

Apparently mine are also too small to have a PET scan because it can give false positive/negatives. Once they get bigger than 1cm I think you can do PET scans/biopsies although not 100% sure on that and it looks like every hospital acts differently anyway!

1 Like