Query to all you amazing people- gut telling me not to have Abraxane

After an allergic reaction to my very last EC my oncologist has offered 9 rounds of Abraxane. However he has said if I have a re cation to this then forget chemo and we move into radiotherapy and hormone therapy.

I was borderline for chemo with 4.8 % benefit however Indid have LVI so was concerned. I have had 3 1/3 Epirubicin and all of the C. I have a strong gut feeling to move on and not do the Abraxane. So far I have been hospitalised 5 times and just know I will be the unlucky one with all the side effects this time again.

I am in a dilemma and all help gratefully received

Zx

2 Likes

Dear Newbie1

My word what a lot you’ve been through a real tough decision for you I’m not medically trained to give you advice as I didn’t have chemo myself I only had radiotherapy. I’m wondering if you give the Breast Cancer Unit nurses on this site a call they are very kind and understanding, and I feel they would point you in the right direction.

Give yourself the biggest hug for getting this far and I wish you lots of health and well-being going forward. Please keep posting and letting us know how you’re getting on.

Love Tili :pray::rainbow::pray::rainbow:

I had two allergic reactions to Paclitaxel so was offered Abraxane instead. This I tolerated very well. Apart from losing my hair, the only other side effects were some muscle pain in the first week (controlled by paracetamol) and some mild peripheral neuropathy.

Obviously I am not you, nor am I medically trained. I can only tell you how I found it. My oncologist had wanted me to try Paclitaxel a third time, but I refused, and said I would rather not have chemo at all than have another reaction. The suggestion to call the nurses here and chat things through is a good one. They can hopefully help you weigh up the pros and cons.
Best of luck whatever you decide

1 Like

Definitely be guided by your team…but my chemo benefit was 3% and i wad told that it was Definitely reccommended at that percentage …my team wouldnt call 4.8 % borderline …maybe it depends on other factors…good luck with whatever you decide

1 Like

I also had two reactions to Paclitaxel and a hospitalisation, and accepted Abraxane. First infusion gave me shortness of breath, after a dose reduction I had no further problems. I was on weekly infusions for 9 weeks, also after EC.

Wishing you all the best in your treatment and health.

1 Like