Race for Life

Just wondered how who is planning on doing the Race for Life this year, and where?

Last year I did the Leicester one. This year I am doing the Loughborough one as the date is more convenient. My two daughters (18 & 13) are doing it with me this time, plus two of my 13 year old’s friends.

I have done it for the past two years in Derby, with my friends, although I live in Leicester. Since last year, though, I developed tongue cancer so this year I am doing the 10 kilometre walk in Hyde Park for The Mouth Cancer Foundation in September. This will be good, as my husband will be able to do it with me, unlike the Race for Life. I would have done both, but decided that I can only ask people for so much sponsorship. If my ten-year-old god-daughter does the Race for Life in Derby again I will certainly go to cheer her on. Anyway I wish everybody well who is doing it this year and I shall be rooting for you all!

love
Gwyn

Hi I am planning to do Race for Life on 22nd June with my 16 year old daughter in Huddersfield

. I finish RADs on 15th May do you think I will be okay??

Kayty,

You will probably still be quite tired, but you can walk the race as slowly as you like, so it should be no problem

Im doing it in Luton on 22nd June. I was too ill to do it last year but I am determined to do this year.

Im going to run a bit and walk a bit!! I think thats the best for me.

Anne

I am doing the Moonwalk on 17th May in London - anyone else doing this? My bra has just arrived!!

Doing Milton Keynes at the end of June…just before final chemo so straight to bed after! Going with 2 mates from the stables, both substantially younger than me but luckily not terribly fit. Would be nice to jog last quarter mile. dunno if we’ll have a little trot from time to time. We’ll see. the funny bit is, the only shoes I can run comfortably in are riding boots - from years of running alongside my daughters’ pony when they ride. Must practice wearing trainers, or I’ll look a right div!

My 21 year old is doing Cambridge in June, I’d like to but having just had 1st chemo (Epi-CMF) don’t know what to expect fatigue-wise. Perhaps my 16 year old could walk it with me, she wouldn’t run if she was being paid to! PinkyAnn, shame we can’t do it on horseback - I don’t know of any sponsored rides that are specifically for BC charities? Lyn xx

Hi

I was diagnosed 5 years ago this August when I was 7 months pregnant. To mark the occasion myself, and my duaghters are all going to The Race for Life in Guildford in June. I’m not quite sure how it’s going to pan out as by choice they are not up for walking and would be carried to the car if they had half a chance! Anyway it will be a special day for us all.

Becks xxxx

I’ll be in the middle of chemotherapy but nothing will keep me away! I will be walking on 21 June at Brighton. I figure that I’m normally fit and a 3 mile walk is within my realm. In normal circumstances this would be a doddle so under chemotherapy it will be a fabulous challenge and keep me fit!

Regards

Gill

Hi

I am doing Race for Life at Arley Hall, Warrington, Northwich with one of my work colleagues on 6th July. I am walking it as I had a mastectomy 2 weeks ago so not enough time to get fit really.

Mandyxx

Hi,

MY MUM, SISTER, SISTER IN LAW, TWO NIECES, MY SISTERS FRIEND, HER FRIEND AND TWO CHILDREN AND I ARE ALL DOING THE RACE FOR LIFE AT HAIGH HALL IN WIGAN ON THE 13TH JULY…

Good Luck to everyone who is doing it and here is to raising lots of money for research into this horrible disease…and hopefully a cure…

Love Deb xx

Hi

My daughter and her friend are also doing the Race For Life at Haigh Hall in Wigan on Sunday 13th July in the afternoon.

Jibby x

Hi
I entered Race for Life last year as support for a friend with a cancer diagnosis, I then got my own diagnosis 2 days before the event. I went ahead and attended the race as the friend I was doing it with knew my situation and was very supportive through an extremely emotional day.
I am doing Race for Life again this year on Sunday 4th May in Norwich along with my friend from last year, my daughter, 2 sisters, 2 nieces and my friends sister and daughter so we are quite a team.
Following diagnosis I have had lumpectomy with lymph removal, 6 chemo, 15 + 2 rads and now take tamoxifen and last week I had a follow up mammogram and scan that were completely clear so I am looking forward to giving something back for the gift of my recovery as well as hopefully getting some closure on a truly long and difficult year.

Good luck to everyone doing it and have a great time.

AJ xxx