Radial Scar

I was told at beginning August after my first ever mammogram that I would need a biopsy for a lesion in my right breast. It was a total shock but feel lucky that it was found now and not 3 years hence. The procedure was fine and after 2 agonising weeks I was told that it was a Radial Scar and would need removing as sometimes it can contain a cancerous cell which cannot be confirmed by biopsy.

I had the surgery yesterday under general anaesthetic as a day case and it was ok. Today I am tired and sore and now have to wait another agonising 2 weeks for the results. I am trying to be positive but there is always that niggle at the back of my mind - what if?? The worst part was telling my daughter (23) and son (14) but not telling my daughter (19) who is working in Perth, Australia for 6 months. I do need to tell her as would hate her to find out via some other source but will then worry about her worrying about me!

All the staff I have had contact with at the hospital have been wonderful and the breast unit is a postive oasis of calm, tranquility, kindness and understanding. I have a direct line to my own breast nurse - a great comfort. I don’t know what the outcome will be but am trying to be positive

Has anyone else been treated for a Radial Scar? I didn’t even know what one was!!

suej

Hello suej

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

With best wishes
June, moderator

Hi,

What a worry for you waiting for the results. I had a radial scar, but it was discovered the other way round to you I had a slow growing quite benign cancer taken out and the lab found some more agressive cancer cells and a radial scar. Did they tell you what it is?? its a sign that in the past you had a growth in there and your body killed it. no knowing if it was a benign or cancerous growths. Aparantly its not uncommon for cancers to grow a little and then just die because they cannot get to the next stage.

It realy is just a precaution taking it out. Especially as they cannot find anything else at the moment.Just to make doubly sure there are not any little cells in there. And they would be tiny, if they thought they were big then they would do another biopsy to try to find them. So although no one want to hear they have cancer I would think the treatment will not be that intrusive. Even with my cocktail of three different types of cancer cell they are confident that all I needed was the lumpectomy and radiation, which was time consuming but not that intrusive.

But hopefully you will find that everything is fine, its just the radial scar and you will be going home with not further treatment.

are you doing the exercises?? if you were not given any get them from this site,otherwise you could have problems with movement later

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn’t given any exercises yet just told to not lift anything heavy at the mo, don’t drive for 3 days and keep normal movement for my arm. I will try and locate the exercises on this page.

The consultant radiologist told me all about the radial scar, how it forms, the whys and wherefors which was great. I like to ask questions and know exactly whats wht. He has made a great study of them and written some papers on the subject.

Have all fingers crossed for next 2 weeks!

suej

its here
www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/getting-fitter-feeling-stronger-leaflet-exercises-after-surgery-bcc6

Hi Suej
I’m new here but I’ve also just recently been diagnosed with a radial scar and am due to have surgery next week.
Just to let you know I’m thinking of you and anyone else with this. I think the waiting is the worst. And getting different opinions from different people.
I think it helps knowing that other people are there for you, well it helps me anyway.
cheers

good evening , not sure as this is a old posting if I will get a reply but…
I am 1 week post surgery for removal of maybe radial scar or a grade1 nasty lump what I am asking is did anyone who had radial scar removed with wire have lymph node bio at the same time? and did any have a maybe maybe not get a def answer that it was just the radial scar
sorry if rambling but am so darn confused! x

ps rambling away has made me feel better even if I am ramblibg to myself !!!

Hello jan-jan and welcome the Breast Cancer Care Discussion Forums. Hopefully somebody will be along soon to respond to your post, but if not do feel free to start a new topic and post your message again (email <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%6d%6f%64%65%72%61%74%6f%72%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%22%3e%6d%6f%64%65%72%61%74%6f%72%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script> if you need help doing this).

The BCC Helpline is also available Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm, offering information and support Tel. 0808 800 6000.

With best wishes,
Anna, BCC Facilitator

my was grade 1 so good news really

x
Jan x