Radiologist "is concerned" should I prepare for worst?

Hi,  I had a follow up mammogram last Thursday & the Radiologist found a suspicious lump 2.8cm deep in the fatty tissue of my RB (it seemed to me) & I had core biopsies - including of my lymph nodes - he said “in case the prognosis isn’t good”. I was a bit in shock as I have no history in the family and no risk factors except my age (53) and HRT.  When I got home and googled it all - (couldn’t help it) I phoned back my breast cancer care nurse, more for reassurance, - she had already said it wasn’t a cyst. All she would say - 3 times, was that the radiologist “is concerned”. I have to wait until the 5th for the results. And only my partner knows. We have decided it is better not to tell anyone else until there is definite news. I am so on edge. Does anyone else have any experience of this? Should I be mentally preparing for really really bad news? Any thoughts appreciated. I just don’t know how to get through the next few days. Reading all these posts has been really helpful.

Dear KayCC

Welcome to the forum.  I’m sorry you’re going through such a tough time at the moment.  I’m sure other members will soon be along to offer you some support.

You might find it helps to talk things over with one of our Helpliners.  They’ll be open again at 9.00 am tomorrow.  (Opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays).  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Kay, sorry you have to join us on the forum. You are in the “waiting room” , the worst place of all. Until you know what, if anything, you are going to have to deal with your imagination will be going into overdrive. Please do not use Dr Google, you’ ll only scare yourself witless and there is a lot of misinformation out there. If it does turn out to be BC, and it may not, it is now very treatable. I was diagnosed in Jan ‘13 had a lumpectomy, no need for chemo, 15 sessions of radiotherapy and take one little endocrine therapy pill each day for the next 5 years; had my first annual mammogram & check up in Jan this year and am NED ( no evidence of disease), so am good to go! Try and keep yourself as busy as possible, it’s not long till 5th. It’ s a good idea not to tell anyone anything until you have your results, you may not need to tell them anything at all! Once you have your results and a treatment plan, if it is BC, you will feel much calmer and in control; at the moment you will just be feeling totally at sea. Do let us know how you get on, best wishes & good luck Pat xx