Radiotherapy after mastectomy - delayed or immediate reconstruction?

Hi all,

The NICE guidelines appear to say that radiotherapy after immediate reconstruction is ok. However my surgeon is advising I will have to have delayed reconstruction due to needing radiotherapy. 

I have an invasive lobular ER+ 55mm tumor, currently on Tamoxifen as no surgery availability due to the Covid19. Otherwise I’m a fit and healthy premenopausal 50 yr old. 

I was as OK as anyone could expect to be when I thought I could have immediate reconstruction, but the thought of it being delayed (and quite likely a long delay due to the virus - reconstruction surgery isn’t going to be anyones priority list for a long time) has really thrown me. 

So I’d like to hear from anyone who has been in a similar boat. E.g. were you offered radiotherapy after reconstruction, if so how did it go? Or were you advised to have delayed reconstruction specifically because of your need for radiotherapy? 

With thanks,

Pye

1 Like

Hi Pye

I too was told that having immediate reconstruction was not ideal if having radiotherapy and that I would not be allowed it anyway due to Covid. I had my surgery on March 23rd and am waiting for radiotherapy. I’m on Tamoxifen too. I did get told that there is a high chance of radiotherapy affecting an implant reconstruction and I must admit I didn’t like the thought of silicone being radiated inside my body. I want a tissue reconstruction anyway and feel it would be much better to wait and have tissue that again is not going to be affected by radiation. I hope this helps but you may get a better cosmetic outcome eventually. I hope you get your surgery soon. This whole journey is bad enough without having to factor Covid into it. Best wishes

Sarah

Hi Pyewacket - I’ve just changed notifications on the forum and have now seen your post as Rosiecrocodile has replied. I hope I’m not too late to tell my story.

I had a mastectomy in 2017 with an immediate implant, followed by radiotherapy. It is true that most doctors advise against having an implant before radiotherapy, but my plastic surgeon was happy to go ahead with a relatively new procedure (I think). I had a “pre pectoral” implant, meaning it was put in front of the chest muscle, and supported in a Braxon sling thing which I believe reduced the risks from radiation. I’m not medical so that’s probably a bad description, but I’m happy to chat more about it if I can help at all.

I wish you all the very best as you go forward. Evie xx

HI,

I have the same question as I would prefer immediate reconstruction but have been told no due to needing radiotherapy - I have my operation next Friday and now struggling to come to terms with it all when some have had immediate reconstruction …

x

I had immediate reconstruction and radiotherapy after. I wonder why they are saying that

Last year I was also advised to delay mastectomy reconstruction until after radiotherapy. To be honest though, I’m kind of glad because it’s given me time to look into the different types of recons without feeling rushed into a decision. I’m still having chemo until April, so I think radiotherapy will be about May. I really don’t feel as anxious to have recon now as I was initially x

1 Like