Radiotherapy and blisters

How many of you have had very raw and blistered skin after RADS (for breast cancer) to the point where you could not shower for days/weeks? If so, how soon after starting treatment did you blister?

I had blisters and ended up on antibiotics as they got infected…thought i was being careful by keeping the wound clean. Plus at the end of rads the practice nurse had to dress my wounds.

I had 25 sessions (5 weeks x 5) and was okay until half way through the 4th. week. I am very fair with quite big boobs, so my onc said he thought it would be very bad by the end, but I used Aloe Vera pure gel to begin with and then Emu Oil once it started being really sore. Emu Oil (bought on eBay) is used in Australian hospitals for rads patients and for burns patients and is amazing stuff. You can just buy it in chemists shops in Australia. Someone in Scotland imports it in from Australia and sells it on eBay.

Hi moonwolf

You may find the BCC fact sheet on radiotherapy helpful as it gives strategies for coping with radiotherapy treatment.

If you would like a copy of this please go to the following link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/radiotherapy_mar_06_0.pdf

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Thanks all - Emu oil it is then!

There does not seem to be anywhere on this site to request email alerts, so did not know anyone had replied!

Apologies for adding this on here but struggling to get a profile pic loaded. Trying this as so far nothing works. I picked an old inactive thread. Hope that’s ok.  image.jpeg