Radiotherapy and eczema

Hi all, does anyone have experience of dealing with eczema while undergoing radiotherapy? I’ve had long term problems with eczema but never in the breast area. It’s now usually just my face and neck that react to the sun, pollen in the air and dust etc. I am concerned that this treatment will spark issues so wondering how best to prepare. I do have lots of emollients and moisturisers…. Is it best to go for the longer lower dose over a few weeks or just zap it all in one week and hope for the best? Thank you!

1 Like

Dear Anna,

Firstly, Well done for getting this far with your treatment. I was always extremely worried about RADIOTHERAPY. I don’t have eczema but I do have very sensitive skin. I called the department and they sorted me out with the best things to use. They actually gave me some cream which contain honey which unfortunately didn’t agree with me, However, they soon came on board and found something else so I feel that this is your first port of call.

Myself, I found Aveeno Daily Moisturising yogurt body cream very soothing, this may help bit of trial and error really, wishing you lots of luck with your treatment, health and happiness going forward and don’t forget to drink plenty of water.

What is the biggest hugs Tili :pray::rainbow::pray::rainbow:

2 Likes

Thank you @Tili :blush:. Yes I think I’ll prepare for the worst, grit my teeth but hope it’s not as bad as I expect. Am starting to think the surgery was the easy bit! Great to have people here who have been through it already. All the best xx

2 Likes

A few months after my surgery I developed a tiny patch of itchy, weepy skin on my nipple area. I was treating it with normal moisturiser (as advised by a breast care nurse) but it never totally went away. Eventually I had it biopsied, and it was confirmed to be eczema. Using 1% hydrocortisone cream for a short while cleared it and now I use Diprobase cream daily.

I am about to start radiotherapy and asked whether there are any special precautions or procedures I should follow. They recommended just using my normal moisturiser twice a day. I was advised to mention any problems at the start of a session. Because you are seen every day they can keep a close eye on everything and give you some immediate advice.

Fingers crossed neither of us have any problems

3 Likes

Hi @scientistamafier that’s good to know it cleared up with hydrocortisone. I always have some on hand. Mine won’t be for a couple of months or so yet but as it’s the next step have started to think about it (results first though).
Good luck with yours, hope it goes well, let us know how you are. Take care, look after yourself :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi, I had radiotherapy over one week (rather than 3) and do suffer from eczema round my eyes and on my neck. I had no problems but everyone is different. I have very dry skin and moisturizer head to toe after showering and continued to do this. I think I may have moisturizer the radiotherapy area twice a day (belt and braces). I asked and was given a tube of cream, can’t remember the name and was recommended Double base but didn’t need them. Good idea to ask so you can try any new cream out ahead of treatment so you know you’re ok with it but you may be fine with liberally applying your usual🙂

3 Likes

Hi @bibblebean, that’s reassuring. Yes I’ll use my normal one liberally I think. It’s a bit like doublebase but I might get some of that too, and yes I always use it after showering too. Thank you, it’s good to hear from others with similar skin issues and I’ll feel better if I’m well prepared! Hope you’re doing ok now, all the best :two_hearts:

1 Like

@anne3
As other people have said, everyone reacts differently and you can only see as you go along. Just make sure you contact someone sooner rather than later if you have issues- I wish I had done!! I was advised to use Aveeno so used it on both breasts for a month before rads. After gradually developed itchy rash, had been told this is normal but it was still getting worse at 5 weeks. Review nurse decided it was reaction to Aveeno. Within a few days of stopping using it I was much more comfortable.

2 Likes

Oh that’s not nice, so uncomfortable. Think I’ll stick to my tried and tested, otherwise there’ll be two factors to consider - the treatment and the cream! Thanks though, yes I’ll contact them early anyway. Hope you’re ok now :two_hearts:

1 Like

It’s fine now . Amazing what a relief it was to no longer be itching!!
Good luck

1 Like

Quite! I’ve had enough of that in my life, don’t need to encourage it! Glad you’re ok now :blush:

1 Like