radiotherapy to neck

radiotherapy to neck

radiotherapy to neck Hi everyone
Just wondered if anyone has had radiotherapy to the back of the neck at the top of spine. I have bone mets to neck, left shoulder blade. and hip which needs radiotherapy. The neck pain has been really painful , but as i am going om holiday on monday they gave me just one to the neck and the others i have to have when i get back from holiday on the 18th June . Th trouble is it feels worse now , in fact it feels lower down now . Is that normal ?. Also why does the cancer team keep telling me its rare to get a spread to the brain because it in a protective layer , when i have just read 3 posts today from ladies who,s cancer has now gone to the brain. Are they just saying that so we dont worry about it. Take care all love carolm x

Hi Carol,

I did have rads to the neck - top of spine - my odontoid peg (which is the bit of the vertebrae responsible for being able to turn the head) is crumbling. I only had one shot of rads and yes, it did hurt for a few days and was quite sore. But after that it has remained reasonably painfree. I also later had 3 lots to my hip. It certainly helps. That, and once the bisphosphonates had kicked in, has helped a lot. All this was getting on for 5 years ago and although the bone mets were pretty extensive they have remained stable, even improved over those years. Hope you find some relief too.

Dawnhc