I start radiotherapy tomorrow. Im organised with my creams and have been applying beforehand.
Im thinking going without a bra on and a vest top or tshirt that I can pull down or take off over my head. I feel it will be easier after so I can apply cream without the faff of a bra.
What has everyone else done? Thanks for your advice and support!
That’s exactly what the radiographer advised at my planning session so I wore a crop top bra which kept on until I got on the table then slipped down.
Top tips: take a water bottle and drink all of it on the way home. Then drink constantly.
Relax your shoulders down onto the table before putting your arms above your head. It’s worth getting comfortable.
I totally agree with @bluetit11 . I wore a crop top which I just pulled down when I got to the table. This was also comfy on the journey home which was a 1.5 hour drive. I also took my cream that put on immediately after the treatment.
hi - I had 15 sessions- and used flamigel ( I believe some trusts supply it) - bought from amazon - not cheap but only ended up using 2 tubes. would use immediately after as I was getting dressed, and then multiple times after. had very little redness, found it really good
I didnt drive there - my hospital was central London so on the train - but would have been able to after as felt fine.
I didnt really get fatigue either - appreciate everyone is different.
all in all it was a good experience - in as much as the staff were lovely and would sit and chat with the other ladies before going in.
Make sure you’re on top of your post op exercises as you need to put your arms above your head. It’s worth stretching before you go in. When you go in and lie on the bed take a depp breath and drop your shoulders before putting your arms up. You’ll be more comfortable that way.
I used MooGoo Udder cream twice a day pre treatment just to make sure everything was fully hydrated. Then Flamigel RT (from Amazon) through treatment and for a couple of weeks after. Make sure you get into the fold under you boob as that’s when most problems start.
I had 5 treatments mid afternoon. I would have been able to drive no problem but hubby took me as parking can be tricky at that hospital and I didn’t want to risk being late or waste a lot of the week being too early.
Drink as much as you possibly can to flush things through and cool your system down.
My boob felt warm afterwards. I got a very thin cotton bra to let the air circulate as I’m too big to go braless and I wanted air under my boob.
I found it useful to prop my elbow on a cushion when sitting down. This stopped my arm resting against my side and again let air circulate and heat escape.
I took ibuprofen at bedtime for the heat too.
Boob went a bit pink but nothing else.
Radiotherapy was the easiest bit of my treatment. However I rested a lot as I absolutely had to get my father in law to his op 10 days later and couldn’t risk getting fatigue. Plan less for a few weeks afterwards.
I used Cetraben cream which was great. You can buy it but my GP prescribed it.
I had 5 full breast treatments and 5 boost sessions. I would have been able to drive if the journey was shorter as mine was at least a 3 hour round trip every day. I agree that parking was a major issue and having my husband drive took that stress away.
By the end of the treatments I was a bit sore under the breast and the radiographer advised me to put a cotton hanky there, after the cream, to prevent friction. I wore a soft cotton pull on bra/crop top, plus hanky if needed, day and night for a few weeks.
At my planning meeting the radiographer advised practicing holding my breath for about 60 seconds as this will be needed, though I think its only if the treatments are on the left side but I may be wrong. If you can’t do it during the treatment don’t worry, just let your breath out and the machine stops itself. On the machine I was on there was a yellow line that rose up into a box when you had enough breath in! A visual incentive!!
Hope it all goes well. Everyone was absolutely lovely