Rads, 5 session regimen

I finished my last session of 5 treatments last week and so far my side effects have been minimal. Boob has been a bit tender, I’ve felt a little tired but that’s all. I’m curious to hear from other ladies who have had this 5 session regimen and whether I have worse to come. Xx

Hello

i am 2 sessions down and continue Monday - Wednesday.  So far no side effects .  My skin looked slightly pink (but not like sunburn) but the creams seem to doing the trick .  Time will tell as to how I feel one completed, but I’ll be interested to hear how you get on following treatment .

wishing you a side effect free recovery 

Xx

Hi yolande55

I underwent the fast forward regime in July and my experience has been very similar to yours although I have noticed some tightening in my boob over the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Just finished today the 5-session regimen (with weekend break). Soreness, pinkness and swelling similar to after the surgery - told it should resolve within two weeks.

Hello there
I can see this thread dates from 3 years back but as it’s on the 5 session issue I’m going to post a question and see what happens. I was told yesterday that I only needed 5 not 15 sessions. I was diagnosed, post surgery in August, with a grade 2 12 mm oe+ cancer - described as very early and treatable. The oncologist is very positive. Im in my early 60s and have relatively good health, exercise etc. so my question is about whether this 5 session regimen will ‘be enough ‘ and what thoughts like that anyone else had - just obviously would prefer 5 sessions if it’s going to be as effective

Hi @cosmos1. I’m in a similar position to you. Starting 5 sessions on Friday, after WLE in Sept, 35mm lobular tumour, clear lymph nodes & no chemo.
I am not a medic, but from everything I’ve read and heard the reduction from 3 wks to 1 wk (and in the past it was often many more wks) is based on research which has found that 1 wk can be as effective as 3 for many women, and of course minimises side effects. I do think oncologists are very careful to assess your particular circumstances and weigh up risks versus side effects so hopefully if you have confidence in your team, you can be reassured the decision is a good one for you. But you can always talk it through with your breast care nurse - I’ve found mine to be very good at welcoming my questions. I know we all have anxieties and I think it will be hard to dismiss them when our treatments are finished, we will always have niggles about wehether everything has been done to prevent recurrence. But I think if you feel you and your team have made the best choices for your particular circumstances then you will hopefully sleep easier! Good luck to us both! xx

Hi greengoude
Thanks for your thoughts. It’s been a while since I posted and I agree with you, having looked into the research and discussed it again with the oncologist and radiotherapists.
I finished the 5 sessions on Friday. It may be too dador side effects to show, so touch wood, but I feel fine so far. And it was certainly great to know I didn’t have to make the trip to the clinic for 3 weeks. Good luck with your treatment! Xx

Hi @cosmos1

I was confused about this myself as my Oncologist told me that it would be the same dose whether it was 5 or 15 treatments and the Radiology staff put me straight on that .

Years ago people often had 6 weeks of radiotherapy then it went down to 3 weeks and now often just 1 week over 5 days - and yes all the changes are based on ongoing research.

The dose is measured in units called Gy or sometimes grays - if you have 15 treatments it’s a total of 40 grays and if you have 5 it’s 26 grays ( or possibly 29 - I’ve forgotten ) . I think of it in thirds - 5 treatments takes 2/3 less time than 15 but because you have more grays per treatment than someone who is having 15 , then your total dose only reduces by about 1/3 . This may help you if you were still thinking that the dose you have received is very small - it’s more than you might think .

Wishing you a speedy recovery
Joanne. X

1 Like