RANT ALERT - HATE MY HAIR!

Wow, thanks everyone - lots to go on here. I will start looking tomorrow. I also think I’m going to go and get my hair cut shorter so that it isn’t such a shock to me, and to other people!

I’ve never really been into hair either, but suddenly I’ve decided I really like my hair and I don’t want to lose it. Sad isn’t it! The things we always took for granted.

Thank you for all your advice. I’m sure I’ll be on here ranting soon Naz, especially because its raining again. Why do we live in the NW?!!!

xxx

Oh god, I’ve just been looking and I don’t know what to get. There are so many and I have no idea where to start. I can’t believe I’m looking and I can’t believe I’m going to be wearing a scarf and I can’t believe I’m going to be bald! And what about when you go to bed, do you get a cold head in the night - that is so sad it makes me want to cry.

Maybe I need to wait for a bit.

xxx

Ok, panic over, I’ve ordered some cotton scarves from the india shop and have emailed bonnyton hats. It’s a starting point for now.

Thank you for all the advice.

xxx

Hey Bunny…i wonder why i am in the NW too…especially as my mum and dad are in the sunny south and can’t believe we are drowning in rain up here (well they can!).

xxx

is raining in saddleworth too, thank god we have the only hosepipe ban in the country…

there was a comment about hair extensions for cancer patients previously on a thread and how good they were, it might be worth a thread of its own so that whoever posted it can get in touch!

I hate my hair too.
I don’t mind the length so much but the colour…Ugh!!!

Hi all

My hair is taking ages to grow, is very fine (like baby hair), crinkly and straggly - or was till yesterday. On a whim I popped into a local hairdressers (never used it before) even though I thought my hair was too short to do anything with. The hairdresser sat me down, gave me a glass of wine and proceeded to wash, condition, cut AND style my hair! It felt great after not having it for a year and when I looked in the mirror when she’d finished I felt great and feminine again! It actually looked longer and fuller even though she had trimmed it.

Only problem is, now I know what it can look like, I will have to start making an effort, instaed of just thinking there was no point as it was too short!

So my advice is - go to the hairdresser! Colour is pretty boring but it’s not grey as I expected.

Dae x

Hi NAZ

My daughter lives in the NWin Cumbria and she has been moaning about the rain, as I live in London I haven’t been able to see her much since dx as I am so bl**dy tired all the time and would not be able to do the drive.

I finished chemo in Feb and hair starting to grow back but it is so short, about 1 cm long at the back which is the longest bit. I too have hair envy, I hate the hair adverts especially the you are worth it adverts.

Hi there again
Dae, how much hair do you have? I was thinking that mine is too short to do anything with, (it’s about 3 cm long i guess), so pretty short!
So glad you had a good experience at the hair dressers, that must have made you feel good!

Bboonie, totally agree with you about the hair adverts, i HATE THEM with a passion …grrhhhhh…
Then at the farm i took my son to earlier today, there were loads of women all with lovely hair, and then there was me…
Hope you feel better soon, London to Cumbria is a drive and a half…how about getting the train?
How are you now?
The weather in the NW is rubbish i have tod say…my parents are in Buckinghamshire and have had no rain!

Oh well…happy hair growing to us all…
xx

Hi everyone
My hair has started to grow back even though I still have on e FEC left. Not sure if it will stay?? But it seems to be a mixture of white and black in others words grey! Never thought Id have grey hair at 38 even if I must admit to the odd grey one before BC. Any body know what colours we can use as I dont fancy short grey hair! I havent managed my wig as I get abit panicky with getting too hot! I really was shocked how much the Hair thing affects us!!
Happy growing to you all
Take care
Sarah x

Hi, mine too is coming back fuzzy and grey, urgh!! Went into health food store, they have organic colours which are ok to use after a couple of months after last Chemo I have been told. I agree, out of everything that has happened since feb, the hair situation has been a big challenge. Tinaxx ps weather has been fine in sunny Wiltshire!

I used Naturtint a couple of months after chemo finished, but unfortunately went pink! I used the ash blonde one but I guess because all the dies are henna based the white and red combined for a pale pink colour rather than the blonde I was aiming for!

Am going to try an organic dye now with no peroxide but just building up courage to give it a go.

Awww Whitey, poor you with the pink hair!
I am sure it come out okay with the organic dye.

Tina,how right you are. The hair has been without a shadow of a dout, the most challenging of all to deal with…
I still cringe when i catch sight of myself in the mirror, but have waved goodbye to the wig and scarf for good now!
Even managed to brave the headteachers leaving assembly yesterday, that was hard!

xx

Hi girls

I finished chemo in March and had cold cap so kept most of my hair although it did thin out a lot (and I did have it cut short first). After the chemo it was really grey (am fair haired) but 4 months on its really starting to get colour back in it, and literally day by day its more noticeable.

My hairdresser got me onto a product called nioxin which is supposed to help promote regrowth, don’t know for certain if that was what has helped but certainly didnt hurt.

And just to add for most inappropriate what not to say of the month so far from a work mate was “hasn’t your hair grown back really well, shame the boob can’t”!!!

Alex xx

Hi there Alex
What form does the Nioxin come in…shampoo?
Is it expensive, as i wouldn’t mind trying it if it is reasonably priced.

Some people and their comments, i don’t know!

xx

I was initially on a follicle booster and scalp treatment and a shampoo, and have now started on just the shampoo and a conditioner (based on my hairdresser’s advice). They give a really fresh tingly, almost minty feeling so do feel like they are doing something.

It wasnt particulary cheap ie about £12 for 300ml shampoo and conditioner but you only need to use a really small amount so has lasted for ages.

The other treatments were about £23 for both in a promotional pack but lasted for over a month.

So not cheap but I worked on the idea that I wasnt paying for loads of haircuts or highlights so was spending elsewhere.

Might be worth checking price online though.

Alex XX

Just wanted to say i finished chemo in Feb, hair has come back grey and curly, what a shock!
This was second time i have had chemo as it was a reoccurance and last time when my hair grew back it was straight so was expecting the same.
The grey bits got to me, so i bought an organic dye from a health shop but realised it was not permanent! so went to hairdressers and they dyed it 3 weeks ago with an organic permanent dye and it is great!!! But curly!

Hi Naz

Just measured my hair, its about 2.5cm long. I managed to make it look pretty good last night (had a night out)though it would have helped if I’d had some very small tongs like the hairdresser used!

Dae x

PS Lovely sunny warm evening here in Plymouth, hope that means summer is back again!

Hi ladies i use avocardo oil from health shop ( its what Gail Porter advised for her alopecia ) and mine has started to grow after FEC 4 i now have baby down hair all over my head although still very short its there xx julie

hi all, i feel so much better reading all your comments. yes i have hair envy too-every magazine i pick up has pages on hair styles for summer its so unfair!! my hairs about 1.5 cms now it used to be long and curly like yours naz(only thing i liked about myself if i’m honest).
i went to see my hairdresser friday and she has said it needs a trim to encourage it to grow thicker (as its like babies hair-which thickens when its trimmed a few times. shes also going to put the naturtint reflex dye on for me. i’ll let you know how i get on after thursday. have you seen the info by trevor sorbie on ‘my new hair’.happy hair growing to you all margxxx