RANT ALERT - HATE MY HAIR!

so girls here’s the thing - my hair is no more than 1/2 inch long after finishing chemo in March so it is very very slow - but thick enough. Yesterday I was in Zara and a lady came over to me to say how much she LOVED my hair cut and had always wanted her hair to look like that ! This is the third person to do so - honestly.

I did explain to her that it wasn’t “cut” at all and she was lovely but the thing is girls - just cause your hair isn’t as you would have it doesn’t mean it doesn’t suit you or look good to others - three total strangers have stopped me in the street now and I can assure you that never happened with my old hair !!

keep cheerful - luv R xx

RECS, you are guaranteed to cheer me up where the hair is concerned, thankyou!
I am SLOWLY getting used to this short short hair which sits upon my head, but i would not go as far as saying i like it yet.

Hair envy still takes over, (like today for example, as i was out shopping in Chester and i saw this woman with lovely long thick hair, and i thought how unfair it was). So i proceeded to glare at her - not good i know!

Anyway, Wilmar, imight get mine trimmed if it is meant to encourage growth, althoughi am reluctant to let scissors anywhere near it again!

Happy hairgrowing to us all.

xx

Hi recs

My hair is really short as well about 1 cm long and I finished chemo in Feb. I have been told by several ladies during the hot weather that they like any hair and how they wish they could go that short. I hate it. but as you say manybe it does look better than I think it does. Still looks strange to me as my hair used to be mousey blonde and dead straight not even a kink in it, right now I look like an extra from Life on Mars, as its coming through very curly and black!!! I will end up look like a throw back to the 70s/80s, especially the perm looks the footballers had, I could be a 70s WAG.
Marian xxx

Hi

Before chemo I always admired peoples very short hair. Never had the courage to go that short though. After chemo I have kept my hair short, I love it, no hairdryers just wash and leave. One good thing came out of breastcancer a new hair style.

Love to all

Carolyn x

Hi Carolyn and all

I agree, I am also intending to keep my hair short now, people have said it suits me and those who don’t know, assume I had it cut this short! It certainly helps to have a trim even if it’s very short, mine looks much better since last Friday’s cut. I swim a lot - just back from the pool now, it’s helping me get fit and trim again. Carolyn you say that one good thing that came out of having breast cancer is a new hairstyle, well I’d go further than that, I believe we have a chance of a new life, changing other things as well as our hairstyles! I’ll be 60 next year and I had always said I’d never retire from work. I do like my job and meeting people but there are lots of things I want to do which I have always said I’d get round to doing “one day”, well I’ve decided that “one day” is going to come sooner rather than later!

Dae x

Dae what a brilliant attitude to adopt!
I feel the same i think…in that having BC has almost given me the chance to start again.
I am starting to investigate new areas of work that interest me and hobbies too…

The hair, well, maybe a couple of inches longer and i will be happy!

xx

Hi all ive read this forum and think its realy good im due to start chemo in about 3weeks and was told i will loose my hair, did think i was taking it ok but as the days are going im getting worried about it, but after reading the storys on here i feel a bit better about it, a big ty to you all xxx

HI JJ101

you might be very surprised how quickly you get to know the new you’s. The one with no hair, eyebrows and eyelashes and the one with short hair and a bit of eyebrows and eyelashes. It can be quite liberating. At the moment in this humid heat I am loving my wash and go hairstyle, and its also very cheap. No more bad hair days in the heat when I used to moan when my thin dead straight hair used to look even more limp in this heat. My hair has come back thicker, darker and curlier than before, so whole new look and al the moment its great. Might change my mind in the winter if its doesn’t get a move on and grow a bit faster, did hope that when I discarded the headscarves/wig and that the sun would encourgage it to reach for the sky and grow. But not so good on the grow faster in the sun idea
Good luck with the chemo

Marian

Hi JJ101 and all

Just a couple of tips for you! It helps if you get your hair cut shorter before you lose it, not such a big shock then! Your scalp will feel very tender and tingly - that’s a sign the hair is about to go! Remember it falls out right from the roots. Be prepared to find a load each morning on the pillow! But think of the savings you’ll make-no hairdresser appointments, shampoos, conditioners, colours etc etc! I was left with a few sad wispy bits which I hung onto for a while then got hubby to shave off, much better!

I always wore big earrings and lots of eyemakeup after I’d lost my hair, also got big bright scarves to do turbans with, the gypsy look.

I didn’t lose my eyelashes and eyebrows until after all chemo finished. Then I pencilled in the eyebrows and put eyeliner round my eyes to disguise lack of lashes! Sounds a bit vain but it does help to avoid the ET look!

Good luck to you, this time last year I was about to start chemo. Just take each session at a time. You’ll get through it, we all do. This site is great, when you feel your lowest just get on here and unburden, you can say whatever you like, we all understand, all been there and done it!!

Dae x

Hi RECS and all - I agree that the new short hair is a revelation. Have been complimented on my short hair (it is only about 2cms long) and told it suits me (my last radio was 31 May). Never would have gone so short by choice. So like most of you - a new beginning. So liberating having a shower and wash the hair too and a quick rub with the towel and it is done! No dryer, no worries about wind blowing it about! . No point in using a brush or comb as it won’t go in any direction I want it to, but has a mind of its own. It is grey, but a sort of dark bluegrey almost, but being 63 now that’s okay, don’t need to make the decision to go natural after being a bottle blonde. Don’t want to be fussed with using hair dye again. Am just relieved that I have hair growing and that treatment is behind me. So to anyone going down the chemo road now - keep the faith it will come back. As Dae says, use the pencils and highlight brows and eyes and wear big earings (there is such a gorgeous choice too)makes you feel better. Cannot believe that only 11 months ago I was confronted with the bad news. Feel so much better nowadays. Love and good health xxx

Hi mammie et al

Now we know how easy it is for men - hairwise I mean! I’m now having to make more effort as it is getting longer, about 2.5cm and after seeing what the hairdresser managed to do last Friday with it, i now feel obliged to make the effort!!

I’ve just passed the 1 year mark, this time last year I’d had the surgery and was waiting to start chemo. I had my first year check up 2 weeks ago, including mammogram, and was told I’d get the results in a few days, still waiting. I know no news is probably good news, as they say, but i want to know for sure! Hoping for it to be in the post tomorrow or I’ll be on the phone to the hospital! I want to celebrate this weekend (hopefully!)

Have a great weekend all of you

Dae x

PS Sorry about the purple wig, my sister gave it to me as a joke!

hi everyone
well my hairdresser put on the naturtint i bought it has covered most greys not as dark as i thought but to be honest i am well pleased with it.feel more like the old me. not as much hair mind but getting there. my lovely hairdresser gave me a very, very light trim, which has taken some of the frizz off. she said next time one of her colours will be fine(semi-permanant)this one only lasts about 4 weeks. so onwards and downwards!!! hopefully!! happy hair growing everyone. marg xxx

dae love the wig lol, my hairs fairly short now anyway,i used to have hair right down to my bum then about 2 years ago had it cut realy short lots have said it looks better, not sure weather to look at wigs or just stick to hats and things, but thanks to every1 on here i feel better about loosing my hair xxxxxxxxx

Hi Dae
Purple is good, love it.
I note that you are having mammo on the anniversary of the first finding, where I have mine on the anniversary of first chemo. So have to wait till end of November and I guess I am about the same timings as you. Finished radios on last day of May so have 4 months to go before I get the ‘all clear’ I hope.
Had to go to doc to check on thyroid and after examination he said that my lymph area was inflammed so am on inflammation tablets. And I thought it was the pain and discomfort that was ‘natural’. So glad I went. Have sharp pains in breast at times and discomfort under the arm. Sorry this is a hair thread! Am wandering.
Love XXXXX

Hi all, only just read this thread as have been in hospital having ld recon, but wanted to let you know that I had hair extensions in April this year after losing my hair to chemo last year. The extensions where done by a company called racoon and was part funded by mcmillans hair in recovery programme. It was fantastic having hair again and they where so easy to manage . I had to have them removed before last weeks op as you cannot keep them in during anesthetic and I really miss them. To any one considering extensions look up Racoon hair in recovery programme. I have no damage to my hair and am considering having them put in again in a few weeks time.

Hi Jaclyn
Thanks for sharing the info on the racoon recovery hair programme…i have already registered and can’t wait to find out whether my hair is suitable later on in the year for them, as i hate my short hair!

I have read on the website that you need 4 inches of hair, so i need to get growing!

Nasreen x

Hi nasreen, hope you get accepted on the program, it really does wonders for your confidence. I had about 3 inches of hair growth but they managed to get the extensions in (they use a really small amount of hair and it does take ages to do) I can’t wait to be driving again so that I can get to the salon and have them put back in. Take care x

Hi Jaclyn,
I have just registered as well, please could you give me some idea as to how much it cost to have your hair extensions?
Was your hair quite thin when you had them done, the sides and back of mine is really thick long and very curly, but the hair on top is fairly sparse.
Hugs & good health, Stella

Hi stella, i dont know if the prices are the same wherever you go but i paid about 80 pounds for the hair and about 110 to have them put in. I also paid 75 pounds each month for a maintenance visit where they were removed or replaced as necessary.

My hair came back quite thick and straight and i had a chin length bob put in which i loved. When you go for the consultation they are able to match closely to you own hair.

Nobody guessed i had extensions unless i told them.

Hope all goes well for you. X

Thanks Jaclyn, i feel quite excited now! :slight_smile: x