Really worried - found lump

I’ve never posted before and am not sure I should be doing now. I’m hoping I’m worrying about nothing and being a wuss but here goes. I’ve found a lump in my left armpit. Its small and hard and yesterday I found another smaller one near to it. I had a lump in my right breast 20 years ago and had it removed. It turned out to be a fibroadenoma and I’ve had no trouble since. I can still remember the fear I had then but its worse this time. Now I’m 52 and I take HRT which give you a higher risk of breast cancer. I’ve got an appointment at my G.P. on Friday morning and I know it could very well be like the last time and turn out to be nothing serious but no matter how many times I tell myself I’m being stupid I can’t stop the sick feeling I’ve got in my stomach. I just want to burst into tears and tell everyone, but I’ve actually told no-one - not even my husband cos I don’t want to worry him yet in case it’s nothing.

My question is how likely is it that a lump in the armpit is likely to be cancer as opposed to a lump in the breast?

Lynne x

Dear Lynne

I am sorry that you are having a worrying time at the moment and I am sure it won’t be long before other forum users will be responding with messages of support for you. In the meantime you can call our helpline on 0808 800 6000. This is a free phone number and is open from 9 am until 5 pm Monday to Friday and 9 am to 2 pm Saturday. The helpline is staffed by qualified breast care nurses or trained helpliners and are there to answer any queries or concerns you may have.

with best wishes
AnnabelG

Lynne,

I can’t help with the question but just want to show support.Its caertainly best to get it checked out and we all will cross our fingers that you get ggod results and don’t have to join us here.The waiting is the worst but you will get there.
take care,
Dot
x

Oh dear my spelling is baaaadddd!
sorry

the most common lumps in women approaching the menopause are cysts, which tend to be mobile and show up on ultrasound differently from solid lumps. Solid lumps after the menopause are more likely to be breast cancer, as fibroadenomas become less common after your twenties.

Having said that there are some other conditions that cause lumps e.g. sclerosing adenosis which are associated with fibrocystic changes in the breast which are very common around the perimenopause i.e. the years leading up to the menopause.

HRT does raise the risk of breast cancer but it doesn’t automatically lead to breast cancer.

Good luck

Mole

Hi Lynne

You are doing the right thing by seeing your GP. Yes it could be nothing - but you mustn’t feel stupid - we have all felt the same when going to the GP - but it sounds like he will refer you to be on the safe side.

I don’t know what your relationship is like but I would consider telling your husband - he may be hurt to think you have been worrying all on your own.

I wish you well. Do let us know how you get on. Looby x

You are doing the right thing by getting it checked out , just wanted to wish luck and to say I would tell hubby as others have said he might be upset at you hiding it from him (((((((((HUGS)))))))

Try not to worry to much,Don’t think you should keep it from your other half,I’m sure he would want you to,at this time you need your family round you.

I know the waiting is worse,I felt alot better once I new,till youv’e had tests nobody can say one way or the other

We all have different ways of dealing with this but I wish you all the best,please let us know how you go on

XEleanor (52)

Thanks so much for all your comments and your support. I know I should tell my husband and he would help and support me all the way but I think I’ll wait till I’ve seen the G.P. and tell him then. I somehow feel that if I keep it to myself then it doesn’t feel real, if I talk about it and say it out loud then it becomes something to really worry about. We’re all a little anxious this week anyway cos my son gets his ‘A’ level results on Thursday and I’m helping him get all his stuff ready to start university next month. At least this is taking my mind off my problems. I’ll let you know what happens with the doctor.

Lynne x

Lynne,

I know how you feel about your OH.I didn’t tell mine until I had been to the GP either.In fact we went on holiday for 2 weeks immediately after I found the lump and I saw my GP on my return. My OH is very supportive and has been fabulous since I told him but at that time I didn’t want to worry about him and have his sad face on holiday.I wanted to be normal until I knew otherwise,if that makes sense?
Good luck to your son with his results,and good luck with your appointment.

Dear Lynne

Your GP shoudl refer you to a breast clinic to get your lumps checked out. Please do insist on this even if your GP is reassuring.

You are not being a wuss…but its up to you when you tell your husband. When I found my lump I made a GPs appointment before telling my partner…I did tell her in the end but only cause we had a row about something else. I know what you mean about it not feeling real while you keep it to yourself.

Waiting is horrible

Hope your son’s exam results are what you both hope for.

very best wishes

Jane