Recalled for ultrasound

Hi there
I had ductal breast cancer stage 2 last year and had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy last year. I had my first mammogram on 9th August. Today I had a letter asking me to return for an ultrasound . Can you give me some idea why this might be.

I forgot to say that I have a seroma at the incision site. I had it checked a couple of months ago at the breast clinic but because it was fairly small they decided it was best to leave it. Could this affect the mammogram

3 Likes

Hi @catperson

You may not get an answer from the nurses until tomorrow.

I had a bilateral lumpectomy last July and recently had my annual mammogram which was clear. Before this I spoke to the breast care nurse who says it’s not uncommon to be recalled after surgery and your first annual mammogram. She said they have nothing to compare to, your surgery mammogram can show where the cancer was but the new mammogram will have scarring from your surgery.

I had a call from the breast cancer nurse before I received my letter which just stated the mammogram was clear. The report on file was more detailed saying evidence of bilateral lumpectomy shown as scarring and that no abnormalities were seen. There was a but more detail but I can’t remember.

So to reiterate, it’s not uncommon to be called back after your first annual mammogram. As usual, until you have the next scan you won’t know anymore than now. If it was me I’d asked if they could give you the results that day as you are anxious. I know it’s not always possible but always worth asking.

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It could be lots of things. Before i had my recall done the radiographer warned me that lots of people get recalls but often isnt anything sinister. She told methe scanner is so sensitive that a hair, piece of material ir even a lot of deodorant can show up on a mammogram & you need to be recalled to investigate.
I imagine youre really worrying & i would be too. Its good that theyre being thorough & rechecking with ultrasound.
Good luck & let us know how you get on x

Hi catperson

Thanks for your post. It’s understandable you may be worrying about your call back after your first follow up mammogram and want to know why you have been asked to have an ultrasound.

As both @naughty_boob and @Luskentyre1 have both said it’s not uncommon for this to happen and could be for several reasons.

Following surgery, the breast tissue looks different from previous mammograms. This may be because breast tissue has been rearranged to fill a defect where the cancer has been removed by lumpectomy, as well as scar tissue forming. Some people also develop small areas of fat necrosis caused by the surgery. A persistent seroma might also make seeing and assessing all the remaining breast tissue on a mammogram difficult and having an ultrasound scan may make this easier.

Radiotherapy can also cause changes to the remaining breast tissue which can take more than a year to resolve.

Your team will want to be thorough and make sure they check any changes they notice as @Luskentyre1 says. You may wish to call your breast care nurse to see if there is any information she can give you about the reason for your recall before your scan. As @naughty_boob also mentions, you can ask on the day that as much information as they have is shared with you.

Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. Coping with the shock of a diagnosis, treatment and side effects, and worries about the future can make it difficult to readjust to everyday life again.

You may be interested in our Moving Forward resources that are for people who have had a diagnosis of primary breast cancer and have come to the end of their main hospital treatment within the last 2 years. They include our Moving Forward booklet and Moving Forward courses.

Through supportive, open conversations in a safe, confidential space, you’ll connect with people who understand. You’ll also find the tools you need to feel more empowered, confident and in control to begin to move forward with your life.

You can attend Moving Forward either at our face-to-face course or take part by joining online. Find a course near you or register for an online course via the links above or call us on 03457 077 1893.

You can also call our helpline to talk any of this through more, or ask any other questions if you like. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.