Recent bone mets diagnosis

Hi everyone. I’m totally new to speaking to people outside the family about my condition, but I think it’s now necessary to talk to people who truly understand.

I had breast cancer back in 2013 at the ripe old age of 38. I had my left breast removed, reconstructed and had chemo and radiotherapy. All was well until I got COVID in March this year. They put my symptoms down to “long COVID” but I just knew it was more than that. 

To cut a long story short, I was diagnosed in May with bone mets. It’s in the hip, spine and last week I found out it’s also back in the breast. The pain was crazy sore in my spine but I had radiotherapy last week and i am trying to cut my morphine out altogether so I can get back to work. I was on 35mg MST twice a day with liquid morphine which I was taking like juice. I was also taking 300mg Gabapentin 3 times a day, along with paracetamol. I’m now on 10mg MST twice a day and 600mg Gabapentin 3 times a day. I’m also on Ibandronic Acid along with Palbociclib & Fulvestrant.

I don’t really have an option about going back to work as I live alone and have a mortgage and bills (like everyone else) with no savings. I work in the care sector and can be involved in heavy lifting and I’m dreading going back. I love my work but I am terrified in case I do myself harm. Does anyone else in a similar situation work?

I feel my mood getting a bit low so thought I’d try talking to people who understand. 

I need to work for my sanity as well as the financial side and don’t know how I’ll cope if I need to retire at 47. The other part of me is saying that I should stay home, but I don’t want to live out what time I have left living hand to mouth. I’m all confused and could scream. I’ve reduced my pain meds without a doctor’s consent in order to get back to work but can sometimes feel that I’m not managing on the low dose of MST.

I don’t know what to do or who to talk to. I lost my Mum to the very same thing 4 years ago and she was the only person who would give me the right advice.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Hi @Bluerose24 , I am very sorry to read this, it sounds like a very difficult time.

We are always here to support you. If you want to talk things through, you can reach our Breast Care Nurses on our free Helpline - 0808 800 6000.

You can also find more information about all our support services on our website here: Support for you

Sending warmest wishes,
Shareena
Forum Moderation Team

Hello,

I too was diagnosed with bone mets in 2015 which was 16 years after my primary diagnosis at age 38. Such a shock!

what I do know is many live a long time with bone mets and the medications have come on such a long was even since 2015. You have reason to be hopeful. 

Regarding the work/ finance situation then MacMillan are very helpful in seeing what benefits can be claimed such as PIP and if you have no savings like you said there may be other benefits too.

Take care

Debs

Hi blue rose 

I too am so very sorry to hear this. What a difficult predicament. Really well done for coming online. I was first diagnosed late 2016 aged 50 and in May this year received the confirmed diagnosis of bone met. I was very active on another online forum throughout my treatment in 2017 and found it immensely helpful and supportive but I’ve got to say secondary seems to be so much more unique to each of us, it’s all new to me. 

The only advice I have is from last time when I was Retired From The Business Due To Ill Health and my financial payout was a years salary which was apparently the upper legal limit. There was a condition built into that policy whereby I was allegedly allowed to return to work when I found myself able to do the same work as before at some point within the year following but would have to then repay the equivalent money back (hope this makes sense). I do hope this is of some value and I would also say that I hope this forum proves to be as kind and helpful as the one I used last time, for both of us xxx