Recent diagnosis

Hello I am new to this we just found out yesterday that my lovely mother has breast cancer. She is due to have a double mastectomy, whilst she is remaining relatively positive it has hit me like a lead balloon. I don’t know what to do and how to support her, she lives in London I live in Wiltshire, can I get the time off work is a big? What do I say to her?!

Hi Kayepato, 

I am sorry to hear you and your mother are going through this difficult time. I am sure some of our users will be along shortly to offer their support.

In the meantime do do give oursupport line a call at 0808 800 6000 who can talk to you about this anxious time and offer a friendly ear. 

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant 

Hi Kayepato, I’m so sorry to hear that your mum has been diagnosed, its lovely that you want to support her so please don’t beat yourself up for the way it has affected you, your mum will understand.

I have 3 daughters and each of them have handled my diagnosis differently and that’s fine. I too have had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction 11 weeks ago and prior to this I had a lumpectomy in June so I would say as long as you are there for your mum when she wants to talk, rant whatever and your informed about her surgery/treatment plan then she will understand that you can’t be by her side 24/7.

Be kind to yourself and you will get through this together, I’m here if you want to ask any questions, take care Suzie xx