Recovery Time from Single Masectomy and Full Node Removal

Hopefully I can get some realistic advice!!

How long in reality were you able to get up and about after surgery? We have a family holiday booked for May half term and in theory this would only be 4 weeks after surgery… something lovely to look forward to BUT we are a family who loves theme parks and we’re planning to have 2 days of rollercoasters. I know it’s probably not a priority but I’ve always said since the start of this awful process (waiting for results, dark thoughts etc… !!) that I want my two boys to come first. To ruin their holiday would be awful… me standing on the side, looking at them on rides wouldn’t work either. I’d need to be able to be strapped in and hold on to very fast rides.

I’m possibly not thinking straight and maybe not putting myself first enough but I love holidays and rollercoasters too so want to at least be prepared!!

Any inputs would be fab x

1 Like

Hi
I was back at work 2 weeks after mastectomy and lymph nodes clearance, started on 4 hours per day and built up. Was walking 4 and 5 miles by end of second week…but was very tired…but the biggest issue for me was the car seat straps and wearing a bra ( I had a stoma). I don’t think I would have been able to manage roller coaster over the head belts on my wound. So for me personally definitely doable to go on holiday…
I did all my exercises and now have full arm extension but didn’t at 4 weeks…
I hope you get away, I’ve found going away for short breaks has really helped my wellbeing xx

1 Like

Thanks Dumbledore… how soon were you able to get out and about? Walk round? Sit in the car for an hour’s journey etc… ? Not be at home for a whole day, that type of thing?

I went for a slow walk toy kids school after a week my bum was sore lol from sitting down and laying not doing anything for a week it broke me needed to get up and about zx

Hi @donna_51
Well obviously it’s different for everyone. But we had visitors 2 days after my mastectomy and I spent the weekend walking, cooking and enjoying their company without them even knowing I’d had an operation. Similar for my axillary clearance - an old friend got in touch wanting to meet up and 2 days after the op I spent the day sightseeing in London. Was walking 4km every day pretty much straight away (and I’m not particularly young or fit). I’m pretty sure I could have managed rollercoasters a month later. But I appreciate others will have different experiences. Best of luck x

@donna_51

I went to Paris for a long weekend 3 weeks and 2 days after my full mastectomy and node clearance. I walked 72,000 steps while there and walked like my life depended on it. It was exhilarating and wonderful to feel so alive. The only mistake I made was carrying a bag. I would advise carrying nothing as a cross body bag rubbed and backpacks are a massive no no after mastectomy.

Personally I wouldn’t go on rides (and I bloody love rides!) because the straps will hurt and bumps to your mastectomy side could trigger lymphoedema so early on. I managed to trigger a seroma with a cross body bag with just my phone and bank card in it. It weighed nothing but the irritation and pressure was enough.

Also, if it involves a flight then you won’t be allowed. I had to go via Eurostar while hubs and kids flew because my doctor would not let me fly until 6 weeks after. Travel insurance covered the refund so it was easy to sort.

I think you do have a brief window after mastectomy to be super capable again before chemo and it’s so important to embrace it because once chemo starts, it is so hard to maintain fun and normality for kids. So so hard. So definitely do a holiday but you may be shooting a little to high on making it be action packed. Xx

Once the effects of the anaesthesia had worn off, i did my arm exercises, then went for a long walk every day . I flew to majorca for a week away after 4 weeks and went back to work after 6 weeks . Make sure to wear compression socks and move about during the flight when possible x

Hi there, i hope you can have a great holiday! When i was at that point post mastectomy and full node removal i would have also been keen to join in as much as possible. I think the rides where you have overhead restraints would have been a no go for me. The jolting around and sudden pressure on the wound area is a step above what you experience with a car seatbelt (and i used a cushion for a while in the car). I love rollercoasters too so would maybe see if there are rides with just lap area restraints, or things like log flumes??:grinning::grinning:
And just be prepared to see how you feel each day , take care, Julie xx

Ps…i notice that you said you would ‘ruin’ their holiday if you dont go on rides with them… i get why it might feel that way…but please have compassion for yourself… you will be doing amazing to be on holiday whether or not you go on rides. There would be more of an impact on your holiday if you get injured… big hugs, Julie xx

2 Likes

Thank you everyone… it’s hard trying to get your head around all of this so any advice is great.

I’m going to see how it all goes … we’re driving to France so luckily no flights so that’s good in theory.

As for rollercoasters, the irony is, the biggest, scariest one has no over shoulder harnesses - I probably would have said no to going on that 6 weeks ago but now ‘bring it on’ NOTHING can be as terrifying as these last few weeks. I’m also going to take my 2 boys out of school a few days before my operation to go to Thorpe Park. I want to feel that adrenaline before my actual emotional and physical rollercoaster journey begins.

1 Like

Ask your surgeon for advice on this . Don’t risk any injury to yourself.
Your priority is the healing.
Hope surgery goes smoothly and recovery swift.

1 Like

I had bilateral mastectomy and sentinel node clearance and was back in work six weeks later. Important you don’t exert yourself while drains are in and follow their guidance for best recovery times.

However I had full node clearance not long ago and it was a more difficult recovery time, my arm was way more stiff and sensitive. I am six weeks post now. I can raise my arm fully but would be mindful of it still. You need to be careful of your arm so as not to give yourself lymphedema. No hol is worth a long term side effect. So think about the pressure your arm might take on the rides and decide then.
Best of luck.

Personally I don’t think rollercoasters will be a good idea after surgery! I had lumpectomy and full node clearance and hated being in the car for about 6-8 weeks following surgery. The seat belt bothered me a lot and every little bump in the road hurt (made hubby drive very slow)! So can’t imagine being on a rollercoaster!! Defo check with your surgeon though. Hope u can enjoy your trip without the scary stuff lol xxx

1 Like