Recurrence tbnc

Hi this is my first post since my original diagnosis of tnbc 10 years ago
In 2013 I was diagnosed with tnbc stage 1
Had surgery, chemo and rads
Yesterday I went to the same breast cancer centre and had mammograms and ultrasound and diagnosed with recurrent cancer same breast
I am to have full body ct to check for mets
Returning to clinic a week on Monday for results and a plan
I feel I am almost too calm, like it’s happening to someone else after going through it once and also having had thyroid cancer 30 years ago
I’ve been told mastectomy possibly immunotherapy
I haven’t told my adult kids yet, im single after losing my partner to a stroke just before my first diagnosis
I just wanted to reach out, I know I can’t be reassured but perhaps someone who understands as I know people who have been through this will
Thanks x

5 Likes

I’m so sorry you are having to go through this again , I’ve had 2 different cancers in last 8 years , having done it once before doesn’t really help that much does it ? Lots of support here from people who understand how tough it is x

2 Likes

Hello Sue. I have no reassurance to offer as I had tnbc last year and so only 18 months or so since treatment ended. In a strange way it is encouraging for me to know it has taken 10 years to come back, because I am already 84 years old and that gives me hope I will die with it and not from it. However for you, it is devastating especially as you have gone through so much already. I would say, though, that there has been so much progress over the last ten years that hopefully treatment now will have greater success. I know that sounds a bit simplistic and probably little comfort to you just now. I haven’t posted much on this site but tnbc is not mentioned so often and I really feel for you. I can’t advise you re telling your adult children. I told mine but they are both married and have families of their own. They were so supportive and it was, for me, the right thing to do. I hope all goes well for you and send my very best wishes.

1 Like

Hi Sue, I am sorry it has come back, I had tnbc, chemo full mastectomy, radiotherapy all clear and six months later routine mammogram, and it was back in lymph nodes both sides, plus a hormone receptor cancer! I suppose I just didn’t think it was real for a while, I swore a bit but didn’t want to tell anyone as felt almost guilty to put everyone through it again, I am now on xeloda and so far still good, it’s still there but controlled and I feel ok, it is reassuring to me that you had it ten years ago, I know I have it for life and don’t want to know the prognosis. Treatment has so moved on , there are new drugs every day, hopefully yours will be localised and easily treatable, better to find it and treat it. Sending you strength and courage

1 Like

I hear you, I’ve been in treatment for bony mets for about 90 days. Love you

1 Like

Hi there. I know exactly what you mean about being too calm. I had BC in 2009 and had chemo, lumpectomy, radiotherapy then drugs for 10 years. Bgger me, it came back in February this year. They tested for brcha gene and i am positive. I just thought “here we go again”. Not been plain sailing but things have moved on in that time and I have had bilateral mastectomy, chemo (cold cap - kept 70% of hair) and just about to fin radiotherapy. Some days I think “why me” others I think “I won’t let you bstard get me down” (prolific swearing as a side effect ) :wink: You will get through it like you did before so sending you all the best wishes and good health in the world. Us women/men are fighters :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply Jill and wishing us both well for the future x

Thanks jambo and heres to the next 10 years disease free for you x

My very best wishes go out to you Babicat and thank you so much for responding
Its so difficult this journey but hopefully you will stay stable for many years to wx

My very best wishes go out to you and that you’ll stay stable for many years to come x

Hi Denido and yes what a bggr it is for us both
Hopefully this round will sort out this cancer
Im worried about the ct scan though and just hoping it’ll be clear
My very best wishes to you x

Sorry to hear this Sue. Sometimes there are just no words. Ive just recently been diagnosed, had mastectomy and awaiting chemo to start and already this is my biggest fear…reccurence…in fact, my fear is theres already another cancer in me that they havent tested for and it will go unnoticed! I know im not thinking rationally but thats what being diagnosed does to you. Sending you lots of positive vibes and hope…stay strong. X

Hi Mandz1 and thanks for reaching out to me
I’ve just been chatting with the breast nurse on the site finding it hard to focus on anything
Its the not knowing isn’t it?
Wishing you every good health wishes,
Sue x

1 Like

I am with you and know how you feel. I was diagnosed with tnbc in 2021 and earlier this month was told it is now in my lungs and is metastatic breast cancer, the cancer is chemo resistant but ironically that’s all they can give me again so started chemo last week for 6 months. Trying to be positive and keeping fit and looking after myself but feel pretty angry and lost now.
Helen 58 xx

1 Like

Hi Helen and thanks for your reply
Can I ask if you were offered immunotherapy? Im at the beginning of my recurrence journey but this has been mentioned
I really don’t know what to expect as I haven’t had my ct scan yet
Please let me know how you get on
My very best wishes
Sue x

Hi Sue
Immunotherapy was discussed but I’ve been told it’s won’t be suitable. I have had genetic testing to see if I have one of the cancer genes and am awaiting those results back.
Still early for me too as I only started chemo again last Tuesday and am having Abraxane. Different drug so different side effects this time.
Do stay in touch and let me know how you get on.
Helen xx

1 Like