Repeat Core Biopsy

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 13th March 2012. Have since had texts including MRI, FNA and core biopsy. I am due to see surgeon again on Wednesday next week. Yesterday I got a call from the receptionist that the want me to undergo a further core biopsy tomorrow. Why would this be necessary? I thought all that was left to be done was to remove the tumor surgically and soon! I don’t have a BCN for advice so any information would be much appreciated. Thank you

Hi barney2710

I’m sorry to hear that you are having a pretty tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk to a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Sam

Just returned from repeat core biopsy. A second area for concern was discovered via the MRI scan. The pathologist has taken a sample, but he seems to be pretty sure tat its only a cyst measuring about 8mm. Will see the surgeon on Wednesday but he wont have the result of this latest biiopsy by then.

Barney, I had exactly the same thing. My tumour didn’t show up on mammo so I had an MRI, but with the warning that it’s so detailed, and rather tricky to interpret, that it often comes up with “false positives”. As expected I got a call (christmas eve 2010) to say I needed to have another biopsy for a different area, but when it came round to it it turned out to be normal breast changes. PLEASE don’t fret too much about the second biopsy, there are good chances that they’re just being ultra cautious.

Good luck,

CM
x

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I have taken all you said on board and am feeling positive once again. xxx