Results appt

Hi all i attended breast clinic on 2w referral on March 18th.I had a biopsy on my armpit and breast lump.Consultant and radiologist worried could be cancer.I have received a phonecall today with Appt for Thursday 28th March.I have gone through so many scenarios waiting.Im so glad its before Easter.I dont know if they give all results by face to face so trying not to think too much into that.

4 Likes

Welcome Buds although I hope you don’t have a reason to stay long. But if you do, then know we’re here and will be glad to help you through whatever it is you face. We also all know that this is a horrible time of waiting and the biggest advice I got while waiting here was from Shi. It was simply a reminder that you don’t have breast cancer until someone tells you that you have breast cancer. Try to live in that for awhile longer and we wish you so much luck!!!

5 Likes

Hi @budsbails2301 if you are in the Uk and under the NHS it is likely that your appointment on Thursday will be to give you the results of your biopsy. It is worth remembering that, according to government figures, 75% of women called back for further investigation do not have breast cancer so whilst it’s natural to assume the worst, it may well not be. If you’re in that number there may still be a benefit for having your lump removed by surgery even if it is not cancer so all of this will be explained to you on Thursday.

For the other 25%, they will see a medical oncologist who will explain the results in terms of suspected size and histology. A draft treatment plan is then laid out. There will also be an opportunity to talk more thoroughly with a breast cancer nurse practitioner (BCNP) as taking it all in can be difficult. Are you able to take someone with you who can take notes or remember the questions that you wanted to ask but, in trying to process what you’ve been told, makes you forget?. If you are going to be on your own, ask if you can record what is said on your phone.

For most people on this forum, the waiting is always the worst part. It’s the not knowing that is so stressful. Once you do know, particularly what the treatment plan will be, you can think about the practicalities of getting better. If you do find yourself amongst the 25% as I did, you will find lots of support here and answers to your questions from people who have been through it before you. The very best of luck for Thursday and let us know how you’ve got on.

4 Likes

:heart:sorry you find yourself here but glad you’ve reached out :two_women_holding_hands::heart:as Kay has advised, please hold onto you do not have breast cancer till a professional tells you, you have breast cancer :heart: if you are told you do, questions to ask are what type and what is proposed treatment plan. Then you can ask away on here everyone will reach out :two_women_holding_hands: and there is also bcn nurses on here, the someone like me option and always the number to ring :heart:if you are told you have breast cancer :heart: try and do things that bring you joy while you wait, it tries to take this but don’t let it :heart: no matter what you are still you, still amazing and still fabulous :heart: :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with everything already posted

You dont know

You can’t change the outcome, good, bad so try to distract, keep busy do things in the meantime that make you relax, smile, push away bad thoughts

Its really hard, you’re going to imagine all sorts of things but one huge thing is do not google anything

When you have next steps, good, bad, indifferent reach out. This forum and the services are here if you need them

Tits and toes crossed for you xx

1 Like

Hi @budsbails2301 I am in a similar position but had my appt on 21st March so have to wait until after easter - 9th April - for my results appointment as the multi disciplinary team meet every Monday. I am finding the replies to your post helpful and find although I do spend much of my time thinking about whats next, I am able to distract myself with normal day to day stuff like work and things that make me happy. Not easy I know but recognise that you are not alone and this waiting time, as I was told by the nurse who looked after me during my biopsy and 3d mammogram, is in many ways the hardest part.

1 Like