Results this week

I was diagnosed in March after a routine family history Mammogram found what they suspected was quite extensive dcis. I had a lumpectomy on 26th March and was found to have invasive tumours as well which were removed with the dcis. My local hospital decided a mastectomy was the best way of dealing with it, and I kinda prepared myself for that, but after some nagging from my family I had a second opinion at the Marsden which I must say have been brilliant. I had the sentinel node biopsy a couple of weeks and find out the results this week. I was feeling very calm about everything until today I recieved a letter saying I need to have an MRI Scan of the breast as well so they can make a decision on whether I need a mastectomy or a partial one. Not really got any questions just felt I wanted to come on here and see if there is anyone else at this stage in there treatment.

Thanks and hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

S. xx

Seems like your post got missed as you haven’t had any replies. That sometimes happens, don’t think people are ignoring you!

Well done for getting it dealt with, and best of luck with your results. The MRI isn’t a bad thing, it allows them to take a really good look at both breasts to see if there’s anything else going on that hasn’t been picked up on the mammo or ultrasound. My tumour was mammo-opaque but showed up on the MRI, along with another “cause for further investigation” which turned out to be normal breast changes in a woman my age. I was warned that MRI is SO clear it sometimes picks up other stuff that is of no concern but needs to be checked out just to confirm that, so don’t worry if you have to have further biopsies. Other than the additional discomfort, of course.

There will be others along shortly now that your post has been bumped, and you will find others who have posted in the “Newly diagnosed” section, so have a look and join in on their threads if you want to. You might also find the Helpline really useful, so give them a ring, they’re open 9am - 5pm every weekday and 9-2 on Saturdays.

some types of cancer show up better on mri but also women with a high risk of BC due to their family history request MRI before deciding on treatment due to the increased chance of multifocal or bilateral disease.

can i just ask though… when you say ‘nagging’ from your family is that nagging to you or to the hosp? i hope the decision is your own and you arent doing something youd rather not because your family are pressuring you not to have a mastectomy… its your body and your choice so do what you think is right for you.

many people with family histories actually want both breast removed… but the MRI results should help with making the decision on surgical options… fingers crossed there are no other concerns.

Lulu xx